three; little will byers

Mary, Charlie and Steve walked out of the school together, among the other teenagers leaving after the bell had rung, stating the end of the tiring school day

            Charlie's arm was over Mary's shoulder on her right side and Steve walked to her left. Mary was glad she were tall, since if she weren't she would have looked even smaller in between the two very tall boys — especially Steve, whom Mary was sure was still growing and soon would reach the god damn sky.

          "I totally fucked that test," Mary was saying, "Totally fucked it." She mumbled grouchily and Charlie chuckled, pulling her closer to her side.

          "Cheer up, Mare. Last I checked, you don't need biology to become the Chief of Hawkins." He assured her and Steve nodded along with him, looking down at his blonde friend.

          "Yeah — and besides, does your grades in high school matter? Can't your dad just like, make you Chief one day?" He asked her and Mary pulled a face, looking up at him as she shrugged her shoulders.

          "No clue. Although, my dad says I've gotta work to get what I want. Which, if you're asking me and you are, he's a hypocritical asshole," She said, narrowing her eyes and pulling her eyebrows downwards, "His only talents are eating a full box of doughnuts like every other stereotypical cop and drinking himself into oblivion." She grumbled, her tone of voice as bitter as the rhubarb pie she had ate at lunchtime.

          Steve and Charlie exchanged knowing glances from over Mary's head. They were used to her rambling about her father, "Alright, The Mary Diaries, we get it. You're dads a dickhead." Steve said and Mary bashed her shoulder against his, making the two boys chuckle.

             "So, you guys gonna come over to my place tonight?" Charlie asked, looking at his friend and girlfriend; Mary nodded whilst Steve winced and squirmed.

             "Nah, man. I don't think I can — I'm going to Nancy's to study," He said, making the pair stop in their tracks and after a moment, Steve did too, looking at them with a confused look, "What?" He asked, looking at them with his eyebrows pulled downwards.

           Mary exchanged an amused look with Charlie, "You're going to study? At Nancy's house? To study?" Charlie asked in disbelief, raising his thick eyebrows, looking at his friend and then girlfriend.

            Mary was suddenly laughing, "Okay, okay. Let me get this straight," She said, holding up her hands and gesturing with them, "You're blowing us off — you know, the better duo than Carol and Tommy, the suck face brigade. To go to Nancy's house? To not study, but actually study?" Mary used mock quotation marks with her fingers on the first sarcastic study and Steve stared at her blankly, blinking and she rose her eyebrows at him.

         "Yeah, so what —"

         "So what," Mary mimicked in a deep voice, earning a glare from Steve and she scoffed, "Alright, Steve. Guess we'll have to make this a two man party then — go on, we don't need you or your hair." She said, folding her arms at her chest although there were a small smile on her lips.