twenty-three; the upside down

Only a few short minutes had passed by before Jim and Nancy returned, this time with the kids

Only a few short minutes had passed by before Jim and Nancy returned, this time with the kids. Mary had been introduced to Eleven, the girl with the powers. The same one that Hawkins Lab were after — and the one from Benny's.

Mary was all very confused, but either way, she had promised the little girl everything would be alright; Jim Hopper had smiled brightly, remembering the days where Mary would treat her little sister with such kindness.

And then they all squeezed themselves horribly into the car and drove to the Byers residence. By the time they arrived it was pitch black, giving a more haunting feel to the night as they piled out of the car and into the house.

It wasn't long until they were all huddled around the table inside the house. Mary sat on the arm of the chair her father also sat in as Mike tried to explain the situation a little more, "Okay, so in this example we're the acrobat. Will, Barbara and Charlie are this flea." He said, pointing at the sheet of paper where he had drawn a diagram of a line with an arrow pointing upwards and downwards and a stick man on the line.

"And this is the upside down, where Will is hiding," He told them, pointing below the line, "Mr Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space." He explained and Mary sighed, rubbing at her temples.

"A gate." Dustin added from where he sat on the floor beside the rest of the kids, his elbows rested on the table.

"That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." Lucas stated and afterwards Dustin piped in "With our compasses." The teens and adults exchanged glances, not really understanding a words the children were saying to them — Mary even felt a headache coming on.

Realising they were lost Dustin tried explaining further, "Okay, so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field and that can change the directions of a compass needle." He tried and Mary slowly nodded along, beginning to understand a little more.

From beside her, Jim sat up a little, "Is this gate underground?" He asked and Mary looked down at him and upon searching the look on his face, she realised he may have known what the gate was.

"Yes." Eleven spoke up, the first time Mary had heard her spoke — she almost thought that she didn't speak at all and was surprised to hear the child's small voice.

"Near a large water tank..." Jim's voice was more of a statement than a question as he looked down at Eleven whom slowly nodded her head.

"Yes." She replied again and everyone exchanged glances in confusion, wondering how the Chief could possibly know where the gate was when they didn't.

"How could you know all of that?" Dustin asked, his mouth hanging open and Mary glanced down at her father, already knowing it was because he had saw it before — he had a look on his face that showed realisation.