Chapter 8 | The emotionless

As the ringing in my ears faded slowly I regained my sense of awareness, there was the sound of a motorcycle engine roaring in the distance as it sped down the street even as screams cried out from the cafe.

After I had gathered the courage to look at my surroundings it couldn't see Patricia anywhere, she was no longer crouching behind the table. She was gone!

I mustered up the courage to peek out from behind the table I saw the man in the skull mask who had fired at the cafe no longer across the street leaving only rubber tire marks on the road, the man who also sat outside the cafe limping into a back alley with a bullet wound in his leg.

But most surprisingly Patricia standing staring at across the street where the man in the skull mask was she had a deep cut across her upper left arm blood poured down her arm and onto her dress staining the fabric.

Patricia turned with a blank stare and walked off toward the alley where the man with bullet wound went down, she disappeared into the alley ignoring me as she walked.

I wondered to myself 'why Patricia had ignored me and followed a stranger into an alleyway?'

I decided to answer this question and hopefully avoid another suspicious encounter with the police by following Patricia into the alley.

Upon walking into the alley my body flinched and ducked behind a pile of black bags as Patricia strode up to the man and asked "who are you and why did you follow me to the cafe? You were sat at the table opposite to me just a minute after I arrived!"

"My name is Michael Bishop and I think you know why I followed you!" The man replied as he held up a small device which I recognised as a PTD.
The man was a participant.

"Well if we're sharing details my name is Patricia Walker," she responded in a monotone voice as she held up a PTD! Patricia was a participant in the same game I was in!

Michael stepped closer to Patricia as she walked up to meet him, Michael swung first arching towards Patricia's head, she barely dodged! Patricia then kicked Michael's foot causing him to stumble.

Quickly, Michael ran towards Patricia tackling her and slamming her into the alley wall Patricia barely flinched!

Both of them fell to the ground as Michael got back to his feet and grabbed a nearby piece of wood holding above his head ready to strike down on Patricia as she was defenceless on the ground.

Seeing this moment I rushed from my hiding spot and pushed Michael's legs from under him, the piece of wood fell from his grasp as he landed on his back, causing him to cry out!

As Michael tried to get up off the floor I elbowed his head and causing him to fall unconscious in a lump on the ground.

Patricia got back up to her feet not even clutching her wounds, all she did was stare at me while I was gasping for air. We both stood there in utter astounded silence, both of us were unsure I what to say, until a figure landed next to both of us attracting our full attention.

We both looked at the figure that I recognised Shadow!

Shadow first looked to Patricia, then turned to me and asked "What happened here?" In a calm voice.

"We were attacked at Cafe Du Pierre by a man on a motorcycle wearing a skull mask, he shot at the cafe!" I said quickly in response.

"Okay I heard about the shooting and assumed it had something to do with your situation Alexis but what happened in this alley?" Shadow responded solemnly.

"Oh. Well after the shooting Patricia followed Michael into the alley and both of them are participants, so they fought, Michael got Patricia onto the floor but I managed to intervene and knock him out!" I said in a rush not even realising Shadow had no idea who both Patricia and Michael were.