Chapter 37 | The convincing argument of Mister Crow

My legs went cold, as if they were made from ice as my heart rate increased and my mind thought about him.

About Mister Crow.

I remembered that we had history with each other but I couldn't remember all of it, it was as if something inside my mind had created a block. A block that stopped me from remembering our history before I knew the man in the mask as Mister Crow.

Shadow tried to lean up from the computer but ended up crumpling in pain as he audibly groaned. I ripped myself out of my frozen mind set and manoeuvred over to Shadow helping him to gain his balance on the keyboard once again as he motioned for me to leave him alone.

Calm, composed boots wandered in with unnerving purpose. They moved with a certain swagger doused in a confidence that exuded and filled the room, until I felt smothered in its overwhelming presence.

His confidence infuriated me, with the way he walked in his face obscured and wearing all black clothing whilst holding a pistol in his hand waving as if it were a wave of hello. Even if I didn't know that man's name, I felt like his name was seared into my brain like a brand. His name was Mister Crow.

Shadow moaned in pain as he tried to stand up straight, as if he were trying to warn Mister Crow to stay away.

Mister Crow spoke first "no no no no! Shadow my man! Don't you move an inch!" His tone was chilling and unnerving.

Instinctually, I thought about reaching for my baton but as I did Shadow shook his head as if he were silently suggesting 'don't do it' and trusting him I kept my arms close but did not retrieve my baton.

"So my dear little Fox how have you been?" Mister Crow questioned his voice echoing throughout the small room like a maniacal sounding bell. Suddenly, his head snapped in a new direction as if finally a gear had turned in his brain, "so did you find the files?" He questioned referring to the files Shadow found.

Finally, I mustered up the courage to reply "yes j- ju- just right now, Shadow showed me" My response was laced with a timidness that showed clearly.

"I thought you'd been here before, honestly my dear Fox I thought when you came to the dam the other night you surely would've seen all this before!" Mister Crow replied as I remembered the night I came to the dam filled with anger.

I responded quickly "it was you wasn't it! You were the reason my PTD beeped at the dam, you were there! Were you stalking me?" I questioned with a threatening tone acting as if I had any power in the situation.

Mister Crow nodded his head in encouragement and he replied "that's it my little Fox! That fire within you I love that about you!" His words were unnerving and sent shivers down my spine. "And to answer your question it was me that night on the dam! But I didn't do anything because I wanted to give you your time please understand!" He pleaded grasping my hand which I tried to get away from.

I stared at him right in the unmoving skull eyes painted on his cold mask, as if they were his actual eyes blazing with malevolence that radiated from him like a bad odour. "Why give me time?" I questioned making sure my voice showed no empathy.

He stepped back slightly before he responded "because you needed it. Or you wanted it. I don't really know but it felt like the right thing to do. Please my dear little Fox I need you to trust me!" He pleaded once again.

I shifted away from him uneasily but stopped moving when Mister Crow's grip on his gun tightened. In my head I wondered why Mister Crow would need me to trust him all his action suggested some sort of cruel fascination with me. "Why do you need me to trust you?" I questioned.