Chapter 2: The Wedding Party

Disclaimer: All the characters belong to J.K Rowling & Stephenie Meyer
* * *
After the two exchanging vow, the wedding guest is directed to a makeshift party area with a lot of the round table and platform to dance. She followed the Native American to a table when she heard her name called.
“Hermione?”
She smiles at her mum’s brother. “Uncle Charlie.”
“Hey, kiddo.” He said while hugging her. “I thought you said you can’t come to the wedding? And where’s your parents?”
“Oh, well, the case I’ve been working on ending surprisingly well, so my boss decided to give me a long delayed holiday. And you know my parents still in Africa, Uncle, volunteering for free health care there.”
The man laughs. “With my niece, the best lawyer ever, we can always say any cases would end well. Your parents are great, too, you know, for volunteering like that.”
Hermione smiles at that. Lawyer is what she said to everyone -Muggle- who asked about what she do for living. It’s not like she can say that she works at the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creature, they would put her in a mental ward for sure. And she just passes a bill about lifting the ban on werewolf to work on any of magical establishment, so it can be said she’s a lawyer for magical creatures.
“So... Married, huh?”
Charlie sighed. “Yeah. I wish she could be more like you. Look at you; smart, beautiful, and successful career. I bet John and Helen are so proud of you. I do.”
She blushed. “Well, one of the reasons they volunteer is, and I quote, ‘since you’re not giving us any grandchildren to spoil with, yet’. Besides, it’s not like I need to chase off the boys with baseball bat.” ‘Maybe a few well placed hexes and jinxes,’ she thought.
“I would have to polish my hunting gun while you are here, to keep the boys away. Wait, you’re staying, right? You can stay in Bella’s old room since Renee stay in the guest room.”
“Well, all of my stuff are in a hotel in Seattle since I’m not sure you’ll want me to -what’s the saying?- cramping your style.”
“Nonsense. You’re always welcome. We’ll just have to arrange a trip to Seattle to get your stuff.”
“Okay, we’ll talk about it later, after we congratulate the bride and the groom.”
Seth is the first to reach the bride and the groom.
“Hey man, nice to see you. I’m happy for you.” He said. The vampire thanked him.
“I hope you’ll be happy, Bella.” Said Billy.
“Thanks, Billy. Have you heard from him?” Bella asked.
“I’m sure Jake wishes you the best.”
She stares at Hermione then, as if trying to guess who this white girl among the natives is.
“Hello, Bella. Congratulation.” Hermione said.
“Thank you...”
“Well, I don’t think you’ll forget your own cousin, the only cousin at that.” She teased.
“Hermione? Auntie Helen’s Hermione?”
“Yes, and yes. You don’t know a lot of Hermione around here, don’t you?” She said before hugging her briefly.
“No, no, it just... wow, look at you. How long has it been? Seven years?”
“Yes, it is, and here I am, twenty six years old, attending my eighteen years old cousin’s wedding, alone.”
“What about that one guy? Richard or something?”
“Ron. Nah, it’s been a long time since I broke up with him. Since then I’m just busying myself with work.”
“Of course. A lawyer, right?”
She just smile. If what she thought was right, it wouldn’t be too long before she have to reveal her true job.
“Edward, this is my cousin, Hermione Granger.” Bella said, introducing her to the vampire.
“Hello, Edward.” She said before shaking his hand. If her observation's not enough to convince her to the true nature of the groom, the hard and cold flesh of his hand will do just that. She peered into his eyes and decided to use a little bit of Legilimency.
‘I know what you are.’ She thought to him. The vampire eyes widen slightly. ‘Look, I just need to talk to you and your coven on why are you marrying my very human cousin.’
The vampire nodded slightly, letting her know he heard her even with confusion etched on his face.
“Well, I’m planning on getting drunk.” Said Uncle Charlie, making all of us laugh. “They served up pretty fancy champagne. Sue, do you want me to get you a glass?”
‘Well, I guess there’s more between Uncle Charlie and Auntie Sue.’ Hermione thought. ‘Uncle Billy doesn’t seem too happy, though.’
“Sparkling fire water,” he said before ramming his wheelchair to Charlie’s foot. “Sounds great.”
Hermione and Seth laugh at his antic before following Billy to the corner. They are just chatting while drinking the champagne when she saw Seth suddenly stiffen. She follows his stare to one pale blond haired woman, one of the animal feeder if she’s not mistaken, who glared at him. The blond talk for a bit to Bella and several other vampires before storming out the reception area.
The reception followed up with speeches from ‘family’ member and friends, even a threat by the bride’s father to the groom.
‘Oh, Uncle Charlie, if only you know who, or exactly ‘what’ your son-in-law is.’
Not too long after the groom, bride, and the guest start dancing, Hermione saw the groom steered her cousin closer to the woods area. She decided to follow them. Entering the woods and making sure nobody could see her, she flicks her wands out and casting several silencing charm, including the sound of her breathing and heartbeat to not alarmed the groom. She follows them to a clearing near a small river when out of nowhere a Native man with a white shirt and cream dress pants appeared.
‘Oh, God.’ She thought. If Seth was huge, then this man is simply massive.
They talked a little while before the groom leaves them to dance. The two talked quietly while dancing, so Hermione just watch them from afar. She already feels bad to spy what it seems like an... intimate... moment, so she decided not to cast the charm to hear what they’re saying.
Suddenly several growls were heard, making her jump a little. Luckily, the silencing charm also concealing her gasp.
They continue to dance, with the man twirling her cousin around. Her cousin seems to be in tears. It confused her, and make her wondering what is her cousin relationship with the guy if she’s marrying the vampire.
She suddenly heard the man shout while grabbing her cousin. She decided to walk closer to stop this stranger hurt her cousin, while suddenly the vampire appeared out of nowhere.
‘Of course, vampire hearing and speed.’ She thought.
He seems to try to calm the trembling guy.
“Are you out of your mind? Huh? You’ll kill her!” The man shout again, his trembling intensified to shaking. That’s when she decided to interrupt. Even if he’s an animal feeder, it doesn’t mean the vampire can’t kill this guy, no matter how massive the guy is. She cancelled all of his silencing charm and stepping purposely to the fallen tree branch.
Hearing the sound, the three looks at the source of the noise. The shaking guy looks straight at her eyes, then she thought she saw his eyes widened slightly. His stare that full of anger change to another emotion like surprise, elation, and... love? The shaking gradually reduced to trembling until then finally stop.
She looks at her cousin and her groom only to see the shock on their faces. She looks back at the guy while raising one of her eyebrows, as if asking him what’s the matter.
“Did I miss something?”
When nobody answering her, she taps her foot to the ground impatiently.
“Nothing, Hermione. What are you doing here?” The vampire answered her.
“Uncle Charlie’s wondering where the groom and the bride’s are, so it’s best for you to come back to your own wedding party.” She lied. She’s been good at lying since she has to lie a lot to protect her idiotic best friends.
“Okay. Come on, Bella.” The vampire said while guiding her still shock cousin, leaving her with the native man.
“Hey, are you okay?” She asked. The guy just nodded at her.
She snorted. “What? Cat got your tongue?”
The guy opening and closing his mouth several times without making a sound.
“Okay, why don’t you follow me back to the party? Even if you don’t like the wedding, it’s no good to let all that good food and fancy drinks to waste.”
The girl sighed. Having no reaction from the guy, she took matters into her hands, literally. She took his right hand with her left and proceed to pull the guy to the reception area.
“What’s your name?” Silent. “Are you from around here?” More silence. “Well, you look native, so maybe you’re from La Push. Do you know Seth? Clearwater? Well, nevermind, if not, I’ll introduce you later.” She keeps babbling until they arrive on the party area. "-if you’re not talking anytime soon, I’m going to think you’re mute, but since I heard you shouting earlier, I- Oh, hey Uncle Billy.” She said when they come face to face with the old man. “I found this man near that wooded area. Do you know him?”
For a while, Hermione only met silence. Well, before...
“Jake!”
“Jake, man!”
“Jacob!”
“So you do know- wait, what?” she looks over at the man. “Jake as in Jacob ‘Jake’ Black? Uncle Billy’s Little Jake?”
The man nodded shyly. His eyes drifted back to their still connected hands. That’s when Hermione noticed that she never let go of his hand since the wood incident. Slowly, she let the man's hand go. Remembering her mental note earlier, she pull him aside, crossed her arm in front of her chest and narrowing her eyes to the man, trying to impersonate Molly Weasleys’ most famous ‘you-need-to-tell-me’ pose. It works everytime with the Weasleys’ brood.
“So, Jake, what are you thinking, young man, leaving your father to God know where? Didn’t you promise you’ll be the brave one and never run away from your problems?”
The man's eyes widened, remembering his promise a long time ago.
* * *
TBC . Too short?