Chapter 4 Everything Happens For a Reason

Disclaimer: All the characters belong to J.K Rowling & Stephenie Meyer
* * *
“Well?”
The angelic voice brought Jacob back from his memory line. Of course he remember that promise, even if it feels like a lifetime ago. That promise made him stay with his father and care for him despite his worsening condition, even when his two sister bailed and leave as soon as they finish highschool. That promise made him stay strong and face every challenge thrown at him being the man of the house he grow up in.
“Um... I’m sorry?” He said more like a question.
The girl –no, woman- in front of him roll her eyes, her beautiful chocolate brown eyes. “And what are you sorry about, young man?”
“Um... I-I guess for running away?”
She narrowed her eyes. “Guess? Then you guess right, young man! What were you thinking? Leaving your father alone when your two sisters never bother to come home? Uncle Billy would never say it, but he is affected by their action, and now yours, too.”
He glance at his father and he can see that Hermione’s right. His father have lost a little weight, and he could see a few more lines on his face, but it was his eyes that make him want to grovel at his feet. There’s pain in his father eyes, pain that he had seen when his two sister left them. And now he’s also responsible for that pain. He grimaced.
“I know. I just... at the time I just feel that I need to get away.”
Hermione sighed. “Tell me, Jake. Did running away make whatever it is that troubled you gone?”
He shakes his head slowly. Her face softened.
“Now that you’ve learn that the hard way, is it safe to say that you’ll never do that again?”
“I promise.” He said with conviction. “I’m sorry.”
Hermione chuckled. “Jake, you don’t have to apologise to me. I think your father deserve that more than me.”
He shrugged. “Well, technically I broke my promise to you. Don’t you think you deserve my apology, Mine?”
This time Hermione laugh, the most beautiful music to him. “Apology accepted. And Jake, I think since you’re now in Highschool, you won’t have dificulty to pronounce my name right. It’s Hermione.”
Jacob smile. “Nope, I’ll stick with Mine. And I’m not a highschooler since I’m kind of on sabatical.”
She frowned. “You’re what? Wait- nevermind. Not my business, anyway. Now that we’ve come to an understanding, I think we should go back to the party.”
He nodded.
Hermione is the first one to reach the Native American party.
“Sorry, Uncle Billy. I just need to say a few words to Jake here.” She said, pointing to the man behind her.
“It’s okay, Hermione.” He said smiling, before shifting his stare to the young man.
The said young man just stare at his father before he fell on his knees in front of the old man.
“Dad, I’m sorry.” He choked.
The old man look at his son with kind eyes. “It’s okay, son. You being back is the most important thing.”
Jacob know his father meant every words. He smile despite his teary eyes. “Yeah. I’m back, for good this time.”
His dad return the smile. “That’s good to know, son.”
“Yeah, I...” He steal a glance at the woman who now stood beside Charlie Swan. The woman that just chewed him up first thing after almost seven years not seeing each other. “I finally understood that everything happen for a reason. Turns out I just need to find that reason.”
Jacob never understood why he can’t let Bella go even after everything she’s done to hurt him. Now he know. What he thought was love truthfully only some infatuation for the girl who remind him of happier times. The time when he got his Mine with him. The woman who the ancestor choosen for him to be his soulmate. His partner. His everything.
There’s confusion on the old man face before something clicked in his mind. He glance at the woman whom he thought as his own daughter before raising his eyebrow at his own son. The subtle nod and brilliant smile on his son face answered his silent question. The man laugh heartily.
“I’m happy for you, son.” He said patting his son hand.
“Thanks, dad.”
Seth is the first to hug him after he stood. “Nice to see you, man.” He said, meaning more than just seeing him physically, but also finally seeing him happy.
“Thanks, Seth.”
“Welcome back, Jacob.” Sue said, hugging him briefly.
“Thanks, Sue.”
Charlie walk forward and pat his shoulder. “Welcome back, Jacob.” He smiled, before shifting his attention to Billy. “Now we’ve got more reason to celebrate. Let’s get drunk, old man.”
Billy laugh. “Who’s you’re calling old, old man? But you’re right, I feel like celebrating myself.”
They laugh and would have been make their way to the drink table if not for Edward Cullen approaching them. Jacob stiffened, while everyone except Charlie and Hermione tensed.
“Hermione, Bella ask me if you want to see her and talk. You know, catching up before we go for our honeymoon.”
Hermione nodded. “Okay. Show me the way.”
“Wait!” Jacob called. “I’ll go with you.”
‘If you think you and your other bloodsuckers can be in the same room with MY imprint without me, then your minds are more fucked up than I thought, leech!’
Edward narrowed his eyes, but promptly nodded. “You can come, too, Jacob.”
# # #
Hermmione eyes widened.  ‘What?!’
“Err... are you sure, Edward?”
‘I thought we would talk about your secret. He’s human! Don’t you need to conceal whatever you are to a mere human?’ She shout through Legilimency.
Edward snorted which he concealed with a cough. “It’s okay, Hermione. Jacob is Bella’s... 'special' friend.”
“Uhhh... okay.”
‘You better have an explanation to this, vampire.’ She thought before shutting him off.
He showed them to a big study room where the rest of the Cullen plus Bella waiting for them. They look surprised to see Edward bringing Hermione and Jacob along.
The vampire who Hermione recognized as Carlisle, the ‘father’ of the groom is the one who recovered first. “Edward, what...”
“She knows about us.” He cut him. The rest of the vampire go rigid, while Jacob and Bella look confused.
“Edward, can you specified exactly what that means?”
Edward sighed. “She knows about what we are.”
The cachopony of ‘what’, ‘how’, and ‘impossible’ are some words that can be heard from the occupant of the room.
“You  risked our life enough with you marrying a human, we can’t afford another human to know!” The beautiful blond vampire said, and nobody would mistaken what she implicated.
Hermione’s hand was ready to brandish her wand from its invisible holster when suddenly, Jacob stood in front of her, effectively shielding her and... growl?
‘Huh? Weird.’ She thought.
“Watch it, Blondie! You don’t want me to end your undead life.” Jacob growled out. Hearing his mate being threatened, the big vampire stood in front his blond mate and growl back.
“Please, calm down, everyone!” Carlisle said. “Now, why don’t we sit down and discused this in civilized manner?”
Hermione is directed to one of the sofa. As soon as she seated, Jacob flopped beside her while angling his body slightly in front, as if ready to jump at the slightless threat to Hermione. The other couple stood or sit near their supossed mate.
“Since you’ve known about us, let me introduce my family. I’m Carlisle. This is my wife, Esme.” He pointed to the motherly vampire. “My children, Jasper and Alice,” The curly blond-haired vampire and the pixie one nodded at her. “Emmet and Rosalie,” The big vampire nodded slightly, while the beautiful blond one just scowled. “And of course, you know Edward as he married your cousin. Now Miss...”
“Hermione Granger.”
He nodded. “Miss Granger, I can assure you that we means you no harm. We only drink animal blood as our life source.”
“I know. I can see that through your eyes color.” She said to the surprise of the vampire.
“My, you seem to know a lot about our kind. Would you mind me to ask how did you know that?” He asked curiously.
“I know because I’ve first meet your kind about ten years ago, and even then I’ve been aware of your kind existence longer.”
Jacob look at her with some kind of horror. His body tense and slightly trembling.
“And why is that, if you don’t mind me asking?” The vampire patriarch asked.
“I’m not exactly what you called normal human.” She said. “I’m a witch.”
There are mostly shocked silence by her revelation. The blond vampire, Rosalie, snorted.
“Yeah, right. Like I would believe that.”
With a flick, Hermione’s wand is in her hand and she proceed to cast multiple Immobulus on the vampire, since vampire is stronger than any human, magical or not. The vampire body went rigid and she can only move her eyes.
“What did you do?!” The big vampire exclaimed, seeing his mate eyes panicking in her petrified state. He growl at Hermione which promt Jacob to growl back.
“Relax. I’m just proving my claim.” She said rolling her eyes.
‘What’s with the growling?’ She thought. She then cast Finite, releasing the vampire from petrification. Even then, the vampire look too scared to make a sound. She proceed to told a brief story about herself, started from how she attended Hogwarts to the present.
“Now that I know what you are, and you know what I am, can we addressed the big issue here? I mean, it’s one thing for your kind to live among humans, but what I don’t understand is how my very human cousin married to one of you?”
* * *
TBC