Chapter 5: Quileute

The Cullen -or specifically, Edward- told Hermione the brief story about how they become involved with Bella.
"So you know, and still want to be changed?" She ask her cousin. She nodded.
"Yes."
"You know the consequences? All of it?" She asked once more.
Her cousin look pained. "I know. But, I love him, Hermione. If it means being a vampire, so be it."
Hermione sighed. She knew she can't change Bella's mind, what with her marrying the vampire. But she have to try. If not for Bella herself, she would try for her Uncle Charlie, whom she knows love his daughter so much and would be lost without her.
"I understand." She got up, sidestepping Jacob who looks like he wanted to protest, and proceed to hug her cousin. "I hope you'll be happy, Bella." She said sincerelly.
"I will, Hermione. I will."
The moment is broken by the pixie vampire who said that they better be coming down before Charlie looking for them. All the party except Bella, Edward and Alice who insist that the two should immediately change for the journey for their honeymoon make their way back downstair.
Jacob and Hermione almost reaching the party venue before she once more pulled him aside.
"Wait, Jake. You obviously know their secret, but they don't raise a stink about that. So I assume you do have your own secret, don't you?"
"Uhm... yeah, you could said that." He said nervously. "I want to tell you, but... I think I need my tribe council permission before I can tell you anything."
She nodded. "I understand."
"Look, how about this. I will tell my dad to assemble the council so we can head to La Push after we got home from this party. That is, if you don't mind."
She smile. "Sure. Let's get back to the party."
They joined their earlier company. At some point, Jacob took Billy aside to explained what their earlier meeting's about. Hermione could see that after a while, Billy's eyes widened and not so discreetly glancing at her. Billy nodded and proceed to call someone from his cell phone.
"So, Hermione, you'll come home with me, right? You can borrow Bella's stuff so you don't have to go back to Seattle tonight." Her Uncle Charlie said after Bella and Edward left for their honeymoon.
"Actually, Uncle, I need to get my stuff tonight since I've got some... sensitive documents with me and I'm not comfortable to leave it in the hotel room overnight." She stated a lie on the spot.
"But it's about four hours drive. Besides, I'm not comfortable letting you drive there alone."
"Don't worry, Charlie." Jacob interrupted. "I'll go with her."
"But you just got home yourself, Jake. Don't you miss your dad?"
"It's okay, Charlie. I'll feel better if she's not driving alone. We can catch up later." Supplied Billy.
Charlie sighed. "Alright, kiddo. Just be careful, okay?"
Hermione nodded and smile at her uncle who proceed to help Billy into the Clearwater's car while she pointed Jacob to her rent car.
"You don't really have to go to Seattle, right?" He asked as they neared her rent car..
She shrugged. "Well, not really. There's just luggage with my clothes in it, you know, just to appear like normal human traveling abroad, since I've got all the important stuff in here." She said, pointing to the small clutch bag that she charmed to match her dress.
Jacob raised an eyebrow. "You're kidding, right?"
She smirked, before she stuck her hand inside the small bag to her elbow, eliciting a gasp and awe look from Jacob.
"Undetectable space expansion charm. I can put almost everything in the universe inside and never run out of space. But I would really like it if I got my luggage with me."
"So you really going to Seattle?" He frowned.
"It's fine, Jacob. I can take you to La Push and then going to Seattle literally in seconds."
"How?" he asked in wonder.
"It called Apparition. We created a wormhole with our magic so we can appear in other places in seconds or more, depending on how far away the destination is."
"Then, I'll go with you." He said, determined to not let his imprint anywhere without him.
"You sure? It gave an unpleasant sensation, especially for the first timer."
"Yeah. How bad can it be?"
She smirked. "Don't said that I didn't warn you, then."
She look at her surrounding and when she's assured that no one's around, she waved her wand and cast the shrinking charm to the car until it looks like a miniature, followed by a stasis charm before she put it in her clutch bag. She spun around just to see Jacob looking at her wide eyed. "What?"
"You literally just shrink a car to a miniature size in front of my eyes." he said.
"Uh, well, sorry. Almost everyone I know are magical or know about magic so I rarely got the same reaction as you when I'm doing magic." she shrugged. "So you still want to go with me?"
"Of course. Besides, there's no telling if or when I got to experience this Appearing thing."
"Apparition." she corrected, before taking his hand into hers. "Just so you know, it feels like you're squeeze inside a straw."
Jacob feel exactly like she described before just in a blink of an eye they appeared in a dark alley. He almost hurl into the trash bin if he's not taking a few deep breath to settle his stomach.
"Are you okay?" she asked.
He just nodded, not risking to hurl in front of his imprint.
"You actually doing better than me. I literally hurl my lunch to my instructor's robe."
"Not helping." He said after his stomach settled. She just laugh.
They got her stuff out with Jacob lugging her luggage around to the dark alley they came from before she works her magic and shrunk her luggage and putting it in her clutch bag.
"Okay, Jake. Since I'm not familiar with La Push, I need you to show me a secluded place where we can Apparate and not be seen by anyone."
"How?"
"Well, it called Legilimency. I literally look into your mind, kind of like mind reading, but I need to do it with your permission so I don't have to spend my time in Azkaban."
"Mind reading? Like Cullen?" He looks kinda disturbed. "And what is Azkaban?"
"No, not like Edward. He literally can't help it, but I only do it with expressed permission. It's actually a crime to rummage around people's mind without permission, and Azkaban is magical prison, you know, where Sirius Black spent twelve years without a trial."
He look at her wide eyed. "The story... that was real? That Demented thing exist?"
"It's Dementor. And... well, at the time you're still a kid, I see no harm in telling you since people won't take it seriously even if you told them the story." She said sheepishly with reddening cheeks.
"Uh... okay. I don't want you to go to prison so... yeah, you can read my mind. So, how do you do it?"
"Well, I can read your mind like Edward did, but it was easier with eye contact, so if you don't mind, I need you to look into my eyes and think hard about our destination."
Jacob was torn between happiness -oh how he can just spend forever to look at her gorgeous eyes- and worry about her reading something she shouldn't, well, at least before he brought her in front of the elders and the pack.
"Jake?"
"Huh? Ah, sorry, Mine. Of course I'll show you."
"Right. Look at me, then." She said.
He forced himself to focus on the shed in his backyard instead of her beautiful chocolate eyes.
"Got it. Just take my hand, and then we're ready to go."
This time, he was prepared but it didn't mean that he like it. It was still uncomfortable and he can't help but let out a groan. "Must it always feels like this?"
"Well, you'll get used to it after a hundred times or so." She laugh as Jacob let out another groan.
"I don't think I'll ever get used to it." He mumbled.
"So, where do we go from here?" she asked.
"Oh, my dad said that he would meet us at the Council Hall. It just around that corner." He said pointing at the other side of the dirt road. Hermione nodded and let Jacob lead her to the building. It turns out that not only the Elders that present there, but also several man with similar body build to Jacob and a few girl. They -except Seth- look at her with confusion etched on their face.
Billy Black and Sue Clearwater smile at her, while one old man just sniff at her, looking a lot like the pureblood bigot she used to face at magical Britain. Jacob directed her to an empty seat, before he himself sit beside her.
Billy Black cleared his throat. "Right. Now that we have Miss Hermione Granger with us, I would state the reason I assemble this meeting. It just recently, my son had been given a gift of imprinting by our ancestors." As he said this, the majority look to be relief and even look on happily to her and Jacob, making Hermione more confused than ever. "But... most importantly, Miss Granger had known about our enemy, The Cold Ones."
This time, there were gasps of horror and even angry growls.
"Another Leech-lover, Jake?" One of the man -the angry looking one- said snidely, making Hermione frowned.
Jacob growl at him. "Watch your mouth, Paul!"
The man -Paul- just scoffed at him.
"Settle down, everyone!" Billy Black shouted. Everyone listened to their Chief. "Right. Since Miss Granger here had known about The Cold Ones, but not about our circumstances, I think it is imperative she knows about how we become so she'll understand our stance against them."
They look unsure, but finally nodded at their Chief. Billy proceed to tell the story of Taha Aki. Everyone except Hermione who didn't know about the legend listened half-heartedly to the story that they have heard hundred of times.
After Billy told the story, Old Quil finally opened his mouth.
"So you listen here, girl. We don't want you to be associated with our enemy, since there's no way that... thing, could be trusted amongst our people."
Hermione took a deep breath to reign in her temper. "Look, Old Man, you don't even have the decency to introduce yourself, yet you think you have rights to tell me to disassociate myself from my own cousin? Beside, the Cullens are not bad, they hunt animals so they don't have to preyed on humans for God sake! There's no reason to not trust people who defied their own nature so they can live as normal as possible."
The Old Man's face turned puce with anger. "Normal! They are not normal! They're dead! And there's no way that vampires and werewolves can live in harmony." he scoffed.
This time it was Hermione's turn to scoffed at him. "Werewolves? What werewolves? You're not werewolves." she said to everyone's confusion.
"Uh... Mine, I think it was clear from our legend that we're werewolves. You know, since we can change into wolves." Jacob said.
Hermione look at him with narrowed eyes. "No, you're not. Real werewolf can't change at will, that obviously, you can. They can only change at full moon, and three days before and after the change, they would look pale and sick since it hurts them. From your story, I believe that you're all shape-shifter that just coincidentally could turn into wolves."
"How do you know about that, girl?" The old man asked her.
Hermione ignored the old man. "What exactly did you tell your father about me, Jake?"
"Um... nothing?" He said sheepishly. "I just told him that you know about the lee- um, I mean the vampire, and you're also kinda part of this... supernatural world, but you don't know about my -our- condition. My secret bound to the tribe, but I kinda think that you should be the one telling your story, since it was your secret."
She smile. "Oh, well, thanks for you consideration, Jake."
"Girl! I'm the Tribe's Elder! You mustn't ignore me!" The Old Man shout at her, earning him angry growls from Jacob and some other wolves, also several gasp of shock from the other.
Hermione rolled her eyes. "I must? I must do nothing! Especially to someone who's looking at me like I'm dirt beneath their shoes since I arrived."
"You... You hokwat! You have no respect-"
"Respect is earned, sir, so I will appreciate it if you talk in civilized manner with me." She said calmly, leaving the old man in what looks like an imitation of gaping fish.
Jacob was torn between anger at how Old Quil reacted and amusement at how his imprint putting the old man down, hard. He was more inclined to the later, though.
Hermione on the other hand feeling like she was transported back to her Hogwarts' day where the ferret Malfoy and some other bigot calling her a 'Mudblood'. Sure, she doesn't really know what a 'hokwat' means, but from how the man saying it, it sure wasn't a compliment to her.
"I think that's enough, Old Quil. I won't tolerate you harashing this young woman." Billy Black said sternly. The old man almost protested, but refrain with a grimace when Sue Clearwater glaring poisonously at him. He nodded, letting Billy leading the Council.
Billy turned to the young woman. "I apologise about Old Quil's behavior, Hermione."
She smiled at the man. "It's okay, Uncle Billy. I won't hold you responsible to anyone behavior but yourself."
"Right. So, now that we have shared our secret, can you please tell me what Jacob's mean with you being part of the... supernatural world, as he said? Of course, it was only if you don't mind sharing."
"The reason I know about vampire, werewolf, shape-shifter, and other magical being is because I, in essence, am also a magical being."
"Can you please elaborate?"
Hermione took a deep breath before finally revealed her true self. "I'm a witch."
* * *
TBC
A/N: This fic is un-beta-ed. I'm suck at grammar, so please excuse me. Also, I'm writing this on my free time, so sorry if I can't update regularly.