2- The Start of Summer

"Did you pack your bag well enough? Do you have extra tampons? Your pills?" My mother fussed for about the 30th time this morning. Every time I leave the house it's the same; Inquiring mother, groaning and swatting away daughter. It's a system.

"Yes, yes, and yes. Everything is nice and packed away." I patted my purple suitcase and swung my JanSport backpack over my shoulder and turned slightly to my sister.

"I love you Keagan. Don't set the house on fire, don't kiss any boys, don't throw some rager party where all the kids are bangin-

"Violet!" I was cut off by mom. I turned to meet her eyes that scorched into mine, her eyebrows furrowing in disappointment. Slowing returning my gaze back to Keagan I sighed and continued my sentence, in a completely different way than I would have gone. "Where all the kids are banging pots and pans together. The neighbors would hate us!"

I heard mom "humph" Besides me before watching me give my sister a hug and then giving me one herself. "I'll miss you."

I nodded nonchalantly. "Then don't make me go."

"Violet you have to its the law-"

I held up a hand to shush her. "Eh, no mother, that, is where you are wrong. You never went to court over my custody, and I have been the legal age of over twelve for a good while now, and I should be able to choose where I spend my time, thank you very much."

The same look of disappointment from before flashed on her face. It's cool mom, I know you love me unconditionally. "You're going"

"Ughhh." my hands ran through my hair in exasperation, weighing my options and coming to the clear choice here. "I'm going to drive my car right off a cliff."

She hugged me once again and smiled, "This is why you aren't driving."

"I'm not driving because of my massive headache. Which to be honest, I faked in the hopes that I wouldn't have to go." My mind was running at a million seconds a minute, trying to even process what I was doing. 

She shook her head at me, completely unsure of what to say, before giving me one last hug. "Your ride is here, I love you."

I closed the door behind me and turned to see Isabelle in her bright blue Beatle, waiting for me. 

"Nice shirt, where did you get it?" I asked Isabella as she ran her hands through her hair while I got in her car. The ripped Pink Floyd shirt was the one I bought off amazon three weeks ago and wore it maybe once before it fell into her possession.

She grinned and fixed her circle sunglasses. "Thanks, I found it in a dumpster!"

I buckled up and rested my feet on the dashboard. "Oh, so we're dumpster diving now? Is that where you got that trashy dress you wore yesterday?"

It was my dress. And I loved it. 

Her mouth turned down in a scowl, "Yeah of course. Only the best for me." I let out a small laugh and hauled the backpack I was bringing behind me, into her backseat. "Chick-Fi-La is on the opposite road but I'm willing to skip Panda over it." She pointed to the spilt in the road.

"Panda. I don't want chicken, or to go that way."

She rolled her eyes, "All you order in chow mein and orange chicken are you kidding me?" 

I smiled and fixed the sunglasses on my head. "Man I love being predictable."

✚✚✚

The drive was 256 miles long and took five hours to complete in full. Isabella only drove me about two hours and my dad actually met us at an Applebees.