Chapter 3: The Substitute.

Echo.

I was filled with mixed feelings as father asked me to start preparing to leave the pack. I would be leaving with Caesar the following day. I walked down to the river where I knew Liam, my boyfriend and mate would be, washing up from the war we just finished.

Some omegas were getting water from the river too to prepared something to eat for everyone who were surely starving but at the moment, I was to focused and scared to starve.

The whole place was silent and torches hung on their stands to brighten the place like it was day and it did look beautiful. The torches were lit down to the river and trailed by the river too, brightening the place. I slowed down my steps as I moved closer to the river and at the far end, I spotted Liam there sitting on her rock looking in Easter's direction.

She was also in the river with her maids surrounding her and I'm sure he didn't think she was me.

"Hey Liam." I called and he looked at me, a bit surprised.

"Looks like I don't recognize my mate from afar again. I thought that was you over there." Liam laughed nervously as he swam towards me and all I did was giggle slightly.

I got that a lot of times from him. He couldn't quite differentiate us when we were far away but he does up close which was kind of cute if I was asked.

"I came to your tent and you weren't there. I began to wonder when the maids started treating you like Easter." He said as he pulled my waist close and kissed me on the lips and after a passionate kiss, he let go.

"I'm so glad we both made it out alive." He sighed in relief and I patted his shoulder gently before sitting at the edge of the river with him.

We entwined our hands as we looked at ahead after the river. There, the forest continued but the trees weren't as tall and beautiful as the ones on our side.

"I'm so glad too even though I mourn greatly for my bestfriend. Meanwhile, I was in father's tent, that's why you didn't meet me in mine." I replied and he looked at me in surprise.

"The Alpha king sent for you?" He asked in disbelief. He also knew well he never sent for me. It was always about his favourite princess, Easter.

"Yes, he did and I was quite surprised too but I went over immediately." I replied as I looked up at the sky which was slightly covered by the high trees.

"So what did he call you for?" He looked at me curiously.

"He said I would be going with the lycans in place of Easter." I replied and I didn't expect his reactions next.

"What?" He flared. "How can they ask you to do such a thing? You should be the one to go into the lion's den and get used and probably killed? That guy is a monster."

I could see the concern and worried look he had on but this was what I had to do, seriously. "You have to understand me Liam. It is the only thing I can do for the pack since they all see me as weak and useless because I'm an omega princess." I replied looking at him with my explanatory look.

At least he had to understand me once. It is the only thing I can do to prove myself that not all omegas are weak. I can be weak but I've been trained all my life since they knew I was an omega to improve my strength capacity to at least that of an alpha.

Unlike Easter, I didn't enjoy fancy privileged things despite being the first of both of us. I never enjoyed even zero point zero one percent of everything she was enjoying.

I had to train night and day, spend most times out of the pack house. Sometimes when I visit the pack house during the weekends, the maids could forget me and make dishes I was allergic to, not cooking ones I'm not.

Although I was cheated and treated unfairly, I never complained. Now was my chance to prove to them I wasn't just weak.

"I am trying to understand you Echo. No sane person would want to walk into danger as a substitute. You have to live your own life." Liam tried to convince me but I already agreed.

"Liam, they can't let her go also because of her condition and she would kill herself if she does and no matter what, I don't want that. She is still my sister. Please try to understand me babe." I pleaded.

"Does she even look like one who is sick? So you want to sacrifice your life for her to live? Have you forgotten how badly she treats you? How they all casted you away from sharing equal rights with Easter to being the outcast and the one in the family shadow?" Liam growled angrily.

"It's fine Liam. I will come back to you safely so there's nothing for you to worry about okay? I'm going to be just fine. Very fine." I held his hands gently. "It's either I go or we all die. We have to do something."

Liam didn't say anything after that. He just pulled me closer into a tight and warm hug. I could tell it was going to be hard for him to let me go but he had no choice.

I walked back into my tent with fear coming over me. I was feeling good about trying to prove myself that I haven't prepared myself for the worst coming up. Really, I don't know what would be in that lycan's territory, how I'll be treated but I just had to go or Easter would never live to see our next birthday.

According to father and his men, I would have to get him wrapped around my fingers and make him trust me before carrying out the last step of my plan which is killing him. But we all know that Caesar wasn't a fool, he would easily know if he was being tricked so I have to be careful and act as natural as possible.

For a second I wanted to go back to father and tell him I won't be able to go but I had to make this jerk of a lycan pay for doing this to my pack and the other packs.

I would make sure by my hands, he dies.