Prologue: The beginning

Dedicated to AKA_amazing! thanks so much for the fan! you're true to your name! :D

The Scars We Hide

Copyright 2012

Prologue: The beginning

War.

What the hell is it?

Where does it start?

Why are we forced to fight?

Why do we fight?

We all say that we fight to protect the people we care about, but so too does our so called enemy.

At first I was just a regular university student, I studied, partied and basically had a good time, a carefree life. War? If you'd ask me about war, I'd probably just laugh and say that it's not my problem. I never thought that something like a war, which was being fought far from my home would ever affect me or my friends. What happened? How did my life turn out to be this way? I remember, that day, that day which made my life and the life of my loved one's gone for the worst...or so I thought.

And I also learned a tough lesson, unlike school, good looks and good grades won't make you survive: only your instincts and gun will.

Oh and I forgot to mention, there are no fair rules.

~*~*~

“Hey Kale my man! Glad you could make it” a friend of mine cheered as I walked into the house. Kyle's house party seemed like it was in full swing now, there were heavy drinking and dancing, a lot of PDA and my most favorite; skin being flashed.

Chuckling I made my way over to Kyle, “You know the party doesn't start till I come” I reached down and grabbed a bottle of beer from the cooler under the table. Kyle handed me the bottle opener and I cracked it open taking a sip. My eyes caught on to a couple just starting to get into the mood in the corner.

“I hope you locked all the room doors” I told him, nodding in the direction of the couple sucking each others face off.

“Shit!” he cursed then ran upstairs probably trying to salvage anything that wasn't broken.

~*~*~

“Ugh, my head” I moaned, burying my face in my pillow. I knew that I shouldn't have played that round of beer pong with Ashton. God, I blame that idiot's competitiveness and my stupidity.

My room door flung open to reveal the cause of all my current problems “Kale where's the Advil?”

I sighed harshly “In the bathroom you dumbass”

“It's not there” he complained, I could hear him shift by the door. “Well check again” I said my annoyance rising.

“I did Bro” he sighed.

“Well not my problem, Ash. You'd better find it soon 'cause I feel a headache coming on”

~*~*~

Hangovers were a bitch, and today I was feeling it tenfold. Dragging myself and Ashton out of our last lecture for the day, I was unfortunately stopped by my twin sister.

“Kale! Ashton!” she called out loud running up to us, her brown hair flying as she ran. Ashton groaned “Quit being so loud she-devil” he held his head. 

“What was that Ashton?” she asked coldly her bubbly, cheery happy innocent façade dropped revealing the she devil within. That seemed to have snapped Ashton out of his hangover stupor “I uh...nothing” he looked away. “Jeez sis, cool that temper” I blew out a breath. Bad move.

Tessa narrowed her eyes and clenched her fists “I don't have a temper! I'm. Just. Intense.”

And she claims that I have problems...

~*~*~

“Kale! Psst, Kale. Wakey, wakey!” came an obnoxious voice disturbing me from my sleep. Opening one eye I glared at Thomas, a very good friend of mine “What?” I asked my voice thick with sleep. My friends and I were in the park “studying”, when I so happened to have dozed off. Millennium, Thomas's girlfriend giggled, while my "older" sister Tessa frowned.I say "older" because she claims she's older though, I beg to differ. 

“Kale you should have really been working on your paper for Bio instead of sleeping” my sister sighed “You're work habits are horrible! Procrastination will get you no where” she chided me. “Thanks for the advice ma” I rolled my eyes.

“Geez, Tess, lighten up a bit” my forever partner in crime Ashton said nudging her lightly.

“Whatever, let's get going it's getting late” she said packing up her books. Yawning I grabbed my phone out of my hoodie's pocket and checked the time. Damn, it was almost nine. Following my sister's lead I packed my stuff up and brushed off myself. We started to walk to our dorms, only too bad none of us ever got there.

~*~*~

It was dark and quiet with the exception of our talking, while we were walking home, it seemed that our environment was sending messages of a foreboding moment to come. We heard gun shots echoing from the street.

We all froze “What was that?” Tessa asked in a panicked voice. More gunshots echoed and there was a strangled scream.

“Emilio!” a female cried. I saw a woman under the street light crying, beside her was a man bleeding. On impulse I ran over to her, “Hey! Look out behind you!” I screamed as I saw a figure pointing a gun behind the woman's back, she was able to dodge the bullet, but managed to have it graze her arm.

“Kale!” Tessa and the others yelled and ran up to me, 'Idiots! Why are you here?'

The lady turned around and shot the man, before pointing her gun at me. I stepped in front of Tessa, raised my hands up, and cursed myself.

“Huh? You're just civilians. Get out of here!” she ordered. I noticed she was wearing some kind of uniform and she was about twenty four maybe twenty five.

“Look we were just walking home, and-” Jeremy got cut off. A van pulled up to the curb and we were drugged and dragged in. 

Hi!!

Well I had this on my computer for a while so I decided to post it and see what happens, I will be updating Is that Even Legal? probably by tomorrow! :D 

Comment, Vote, fan? 

Thanks!