chapter two

BOBBY SINGER had been like a father to Olivia, and she loved him as if he was. He is the only person that Olivia has ever really totally cared about, until she had a child, at least.

"I'm sorry I threw things," Olivia says, running her hand through her blonde hair anxiously as she walks around and picks up the items that she threw at the boys earlier. "I just didn't expect you."

"Honestly? I expected worse," Dean tells her as the two boys take a seat on the couch. Olivia smiles a little at him quickly before sitting down across from the boys. Her son is still in his room and that's the way she prefers it. She doesn't want to have to explain it to Dean and Sam.

"So," Olivia says. "What's the matter? Bobby hasn't tried to get into contact with me in years."

"Oh, believe me, he tried," Dean says. "It's hard when you just drop off the grid like that."

Olivia clenches her jaw and sighs. Sam nudges his brother and changes the subject. "Uh, Bobby didn't actually send us. He's just going through a hard time and we thought it would be good for you to come see him."

Sam's words would have made her very upset if anyone else was saying them, but Sam always had a way with words that made Olivia understand. She has never gotten in a fight with Sam, ever. The two were best friends.

"Going through a hard time, how?" Olivia presses. She doesn't want to just up and leave, especially because she has her son with her, and she doesn't want to go all the way to South Dakota unless it's for extreme reasons.

"Well–" Dean starts, but at that moment, Noah comes out of his room with his empty plate, ready for school.

"Sorry," Noah says in embarrassment as his door squeaks, turning all eyes on him.

"You're done already?" Olivia asks him, trying not to make him any more uncomfortable. Adults that Noah doesn't know usually make him uncomfortable easily.

"Uh..." Noah doesn't say anything as he moves across the room and slides his plate into the sink. He walks back towards his room. "Sorry," he says quietly before going in his room and disappearing behind the door.

Dean and Sam turn to Olivia with raised eyebrows. "What?" She asks.

"A little early in the morning to be babysitting, isn't it?" Dean asks, smirking a little. Olivia only sighs and turns to him with a pointed glare, her lips pursed. Dean catches on fast, his expression turning to one of shock. "He– he's yours?"

"Why is that so crazy?" Olivia asks, slightly offended that Dean thinks it's ridiculous that she has a child.

"Well, I uh... I–"

"Because you're a hunter?" Sam finishes for his brother.

"Retired," Olivia points out. "I haven't hunted a thing since Noah was born."

"Wait, is that why you quit?" Dean asks.

"Gee, you're just as quick as you ever were," Olivia rolls her eyes playfully at Dean.

"And, is his father–?" Sam begins.

"Not around," Olivia finishes quickly, not wanting to discuss the father.

Sam excused himself to use the bathroom, leaving Dean and Olivia alone in the living room.

"What's his name?" Dean asks, Mostly to fill the silence. He wishes Sam would have stayed. He doesn't know what to say to Olivia after all these years.

"Noah," she answers.

"Cute kid," Dean remarks. She smiles.

"I know," she says. Honestly, most of Noah's features are similar to his father's, not hers.