chapter three

OLIVIA RECEIVED a call on her cell phone at ten the next morning. It was Sarah, the waitress who works with Olivia at the restaurant. The blonde haired woman told her coworker that she had a family emergency and that she may not be to work for a few days. In reality, it'll more than likely be longer than a few days.

Her son is still asleep; he spent most of the night tossing and turning. Noah isn't used to sleeping in a different bed, in fact, he hardly ever sleeps over at his friends' house because he doesn't like leaving the comfort of his own bed in his own room.

Olivia sits on the bed next to Noah as she smoothes his hair down while he sleeps. Yes, she's always been sort of overprotective when it comes to Noah. But how could she not, knowing of all the dangers out there, and the fact that he wasn't around her every second of the day.

She turns her head in the direction of the door as someone knocks on the other side. "Olivia?" It's Sam. She doesn't say anything because she doesn't want to wake Noah. Sam opens the door and comes inside.

"Hey," he says. Olivia shushes him and gestures to her sleeping boy. "Sorry," Sam whispers. "Can I talk to you?" Olivia nods and gets up, stepping out of the room and closing the door.

"He didn't sleep well last night," Olivia says. "He's... he has trouble adjusting." Sam gives her a look that shows sympathy.

"Look, I'm sorry," he says. "We didn't mean to drag you back in to this. But, Bobby–"

"I know," Olivia nods. "It's okay."

Sam smiles at her a little. "We're actually leaving soon. There's a case a few hours away. We thought we could give you and Bobby some time to catch up."

"Sure," Olivia nods. She looks at the door where her son is on the other side, listening for any noise that indicates he is waking up. She doesn't want to leave him alone for too long. She turns to look at Sam, who is just sort of gazing intently at her with his soft eyes. "Oh, was there something else?" She asks, expecting him to have already walked away.

Sam smiles a little. "It's just good to see you again. I mean, after what happened before, I didn't think—"

"I know," Olivia cuts him off. "Me neither." He gives her a quick hug before disappearing down the hall. Olivia hears the sounds of his feet against the steps as he walks down the stairs. She sighs and steps back into the room with Noah.

•••

Later in the day, Olivia makes food for Noah, despite Bobby telling her that he could do it if she wanted. He wasn't surprised though; Olivia always did things for herself.

Noah sits at the couch in front of the television with some show playing while he's finishing coloring a page from his coloring book.

"He seems like a good kid," Bobby tells her in the kitchen as they clear the dishes.

"Yeah, he's great," Olivia smiles. Bobby doesn't say anything for a moment as Olivia sets the dishes in the sink while trying to be quiet.

"Don't he ever ask about his dad?" Bobby questions. Olivia freezes before turning to look at him. "Just wondering."

"Sometimes," Olivia answers, crossing her arms. Her throat tightens up a little. She doesn't like to think about it. "I– I've told him bits and pieces, but nowhere near enough."

Olivia has always felt guilty that Noah did not grow up with a dad. Especially since he started school. He has always been jealous of the other kids, who have great relationships with their fathers. She knows it's not fair to him. She's been trying to be a good mother to make up for it, but she knows he still wants a dad around.

"You ever... plan on telling him?" Bobby wonders. Olivia scoffs, the corner of her mouth turning up slightly.

"What good would that do?" She asks, turning around to face the sink as she turns the water on and starts doing the dishes.

Bobby turns his head towards the living room and sees Noah staring attentively at the coloring book in his hands as he uses a purple crayon to color. Bobby can't help the smile that spreads across his face; he can already see the similarities between mother and son.

***

A/N: sorry it's so short, but I wanted to update. Happy October 3rd! Where are all the Mean Girls fans?

PS: imagine Jennifer Lawrence as Olivia