9

I thought of you, before I died. It was that one moment, just a flash of a second, where people say that your whole life flashes before your very eyes before you die. Perhaps, I thought, they over exaggerated on that part. I didn't see me, younger, growing up by the second or anything. I didn't see anything except you.

     And I thought, well, what's Hamlin going to do? You're going to be pissed, of course, because I'm dead. You told me not to get myself killed, said if the maze was too hard for me to send my flare and wait. And I suppose it could have been you just having a laugh because you did that a lot. We all did. We never took it seriously because the threat of the Dark Lord was so faint that no one dared believe he was to return.

     But he had. He returned and his minion killed me without a thought and I thought of you. I thought of you and my mum and my dad and my sister and I mourned in that second - that one second where the spell was still flying at me and I could only remain frozen as it inevitably struck me with all its power.

     I mourned for a life that would be no more. A life where we were happy and healthy and in love. A life where we would graduate and move in together. A life where I'm yours and you're mine and we're floating together through life, friends and family by our side, supporting us through it all, their hands steady as they push us into a bright future.

     A future that is now no more.

     I mourned for you, Hamlin. I mourned for the grins that would no longer grace your face for months to come. I mourned for the roses that would prick your skin when you visited me at my grave. I mourned for the tears that would stain your beautiful face. I mourned for the love that we shared and the love that we lost.

     I thought about the roses I gave you. And how I should have bought you fresh ones before the task. I thought about how they must be wilting in the room, neglected and dying. I thought about your brown eyes and how I wished I could sink into their molten warmth one last time. I thought about your hugs, your kisses, your everything and I saw your smile echoing in my head. And then, I thought about how I wished I wouldn't die. Just so I could see it once more.

     The spell hit me and it was instant.

     Now, I am gone.

     And I am sorry.

     I left you alone, Hamlin.

     And that is what I mourn the most.