The Next Day Part One

"This isn't home."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6:45 a.m.

"Where the hell are they?" Colleen says through a frustrating sigh. "Matt?"

"Yeah mom?" Matt replies back from the kitchen, cooking scrambled eggs for breakfast.

"Where are my keys?" Colleen was dressed in her work outfit, her blonde hair was neatly combed and fell just above her shoulders. She lifted up the couch cushions, and searched on the coffee table in the living room for her keys.

"Check the couch." He suggested, knowing she would find them sooner or later. His mom was good at finding lost things.

"I did." She retorted back to her son, lifting the small throw pillows on couch once more. "Oh, found them." She put her keys in her pocket and went to grab her purse off of the kitchen table. "Okay sweetie, I will see you tonight." She firmly gripped Matt's shoulder and went to put a jacket on.

"Yeah mom, see ya later." He scraped the scrambled eggs onto two plates, one for himself, and one for his sister Katie.

Colleen slipped her jacket on and looked at the empty seat at the kitchen table. "Where's Katie?" She asked Matt.

"She's probably still sleeping, I'll get her up soon."

"Matthew, you have to make sure she is up and ready for school!" Colleen sighed once again. Mornings in the Byer household were always hectic. Oh what she would give for a peaceful morning. Colleen walked past Chester, sleeping in his dog bed. She opened the door to Katie's bedroom and saw no one in the bed. She lifted the large sheet, just making sure that she still wasn't in bed. And still no sign of Katie. Colleen got a strange feeling, some may call it a: Mother's Intuition. Colleen sensed that something was wrong. Why wasn't Katie home? Could she be at friends house? Maybe. No. Coleen remembered getting a call from Mrs.Wheeler, saying that Katie was on her way home.

Colleen walked back to the kitchen, "Matt did you see Katie come home last night?" 

Matt scooped some scrambled eggs with his piece of toast. "No, I was working. My friend at work asked if I could cover for him. And I thought we could use the extra cash so-."

"Matt we talked about this! You can't take shifts while I'm working!"

"It's not a big deal. She's a freshman, she can take care of herself. Plus she was at the Wheeler's all day, I'm pretty sure she stayed over." Matt lost interest in his breakfast, sensing the anxiety in his mother's tone.

"I can't believe you sometimes." Colleen went to the phone. She dialed the Wheeler's phone number.

Meanwhile in the Wheeler household, Lance woke up and got dressed for school. Grabbing whatever he could find in his closet he raced downstairs, following the smell of Eggo's to the kitchen. His older sister Allura was already at the table eating breakfast along side his father, mother, and little sister. 

He sat at the empty spot where his food was already served to him. He grabbed the maple syrup and drowned his waffles with it. Lance always liked his waffles extra soggy.

"That's disgusting." Allura scrunched her nose in disgust staring at the two stack of waffles in the pool of syrup.

"You're disgusting." Lance retorted back, screwing the cap back on the syrup. Then Lance thought of a devious plan. He quickly unscrewed the cap on the syrup bottle and poured syrup onto Allura's scrambled eggs. 

"Lance! What the hell!" Allura gasped in shock, tempted to grab a fork and end him.

"Oye, ¡lenguaje!" Their father looked away from the newspaper and directly at Allura. 

With Allura and Lance both being teenagers, their short tempered hormones could cause huge fights between them. Their bickering, and arguments was common in the Wheeler household. The telephone rang, Mrs.Wheeler got up with Holly in her arms. She answered the telephone, "Hello?"

"Hi Sofia, it's Colleen." Colleen's bright voice replied back through the line. "Is Katie there with you?" 

"Katie? No, it's just Lance and Allura." 

"Katie didn't spend the night?"

"No, I sent everyone home last night around seven. Is everything okay Colleen?" Sofia could hear the sudden change in Colleen's tone.

Colleen's mind swirled with thoughts. She tried thinking of all of the places Katie would be in the morning. Then one thought came to mind, and it calmed down her anxiety. "Um...I think she just left for school early. Thank you so much."

"Okay, bye Colleen." Sofia said through the telephone before hearing  the other line hang up. 

Colleen ended the call and took a deep breath. Matt was no longer sitting at the table. He was standing with his hands pressed against the table's surface. Matt heard every word in the conversation between his mother and Mrs.Wheeler. "Do you really think she left for school?"

"I...I hope so." Colleen answered.

"I'll check at school." Matt reassured her.

 Colleen left the home and drove to work, and the further she got away from home, the more she thought about Katie.  Matt didn't touch his breakfast and put it in a container to save it for lunch. Then he got into his car and drove to Hawkins High School.

7:30 a.m.

Hunk, Lucas and Lance rode their bikes to the high school. Hunk and Lucas were exhausted from the day before, barely getting a wink of sleep. They all noticed that Pidge didn't meet up with them to ride to school. As they rode their bikes, Lance told them that his mom got a call from Pidge's mom. The first bell rang as they parked their bikes in the bike rack.

"That's weird, I don't see Pidge's bike." Lance looked around to see if Pidge was nearby.

"I'm telling you, Mrs.Byer is right. She probably went to class early." Lucas reassured Lance. 

"Yeah," Hunk chuckled. "Maybe he's paranoid that Mr. Coran is going to give him a pop quiz."

"Woah I didn't know the freak show was in town!" Announced a voice behind them. "Step right up ladies, and gentlemen. Step right up to get your tickets to the freak show." Troy Sendak smirked lowly at them. His buddy James Myzax stayed close behind them. Troy and James are what you would call a 'mouth breathers'. They had nothing better to do in their lives except to pick on Lance, Lucas , Hunk and Pidge.

"Now who would make more money?" James stood in front of Lucas, and hit him hard on the chest. "Midnight," Then he moved onto Lance who stepped back before James could even touch him. "Beaner," And James stood in front of Hunk and hit him in the chest as well. "Or Toothless?"

Troy snickered and studied each of them. "I choose Toofleff." He said as he mimicked a lisped tone.

"I told you a million times, my teeth are coming in. It's called cleidocranial dysplasia." Hunk said with all of his might trying no to slip up on his words.

"I thold you a millionths timef!" Troy mimicked Hunk again.

"Do the arm thing." James told Hunk. Lance and Lucas did nothing, they knew that they could never survive standing up to James and Troy. 

Hunk sighed as he took of his jacket, revealing a his yellow blazer. He held both of his hands together in front of him. Then he pushed both of his arms outward, making a loud cracking sound. Troy and James stepped back holding the stomachs, imitating the sounds of throwing up.

"God, that gets me everytime." Troy grimaced. James and Troy pushed passed them, allowing this to be the only time they don't get their asses kicked.

Lucas rolled his eyes, "Assholes."

Lance tried brightening up the mood. "I think it's kinda cool. It's almost like you have some sort of super power. Like Mr.Fantastic."

Hunk picked up his jacket from the ground. "Yeah except I can't fight evil with it." 

They made their way to their first period: Mr.Coran's science class.