The Encounter

"Ring-A-Ding-Ding!" Collen rang the bike bell on the side of 'Castle Byers'. The fortress was small and made out of the wood Matt and Katie had collected years ago.

"What's the password?" A small voice asked from behind the bed sheet door.

"Um..." Colleen tried to remember the password. "Is it.. Rada-- Radagast?" She stammers.

"Yes." Katie replied, allowing her access.

Colleen smiled as she got inside the small fortress. "Thank you, princess. So guess what?"

Katie sat down on the small mattress in the fortress. She drew her character from Dungeons and Dragons with a green crayon, on a white sheet of paper. "What?"

"I got off early and..." She took out two tickets from her pocket. "Ta-da! Poltergeist!" She showed the two movie tickets to her.

Katie's face lit up. "I thought I wasn't allowed to see it."

"I changed my mind. As long as you don't have nightmares for a week." Colleen handed Katie a ticket.

Katie shook her head. "No I won't. I don't get scared like that anymore."

"Oh yeah? Not even of clowns?" Colleen asked.

"No."

"Not even...my witch." She said in high pitched tone, while squinting one eye. "I'm gonna cook you up my pretty!" She cackled.

"No, mom stop. I'm not five anymore." Katie laughed. "Mom, stop it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Colleen filed the missing report, she went back home. And took a five minute walk in the forest behind the house to 'Castle Byers'. She opened the drape door, without saying the password. And no one was inside the fortress. Matt came home from school early to tell Colleen that Katie wasn't at school.

 Colleen looked around, "Katie?" She shouted.

"Katie? Where are you?" Matt yelled.

"Katie?"

No response. Just the crinkling of dry leaves under their shoes.

7:50 a.m.

The day was still young, and in the north side of Hawkins something terrible was brewing.

Not many people knew what went on inside Hawkins National Labratory. And if they did, they would't live to tell the tale. Some rumors were able to sneak thier way out of the walls of the labratory. Some say that the facility was making bombs to nuke the Germans. And others say that the building is owned by the CIA. Well they weren't wrong, but some weren't completely right either.  The building itself was as enormous as the secret that hid inside it.

The floors above the ground served as a hospital, but underneath the surface was something far worse than what you can imagine.

Scientists used the lower levels as a place to experiment on children. Making them the weapons to fight against the enemies overseas. With their supernatural powers, and peculiar gifts the United States would be considered as the most powerful country in the world.

The man behind the experiments was Dr.Zarkon. A man who stood with pride over his creations.

Dr. Zarkon had encountered a slight problem. One of his experiments had caused something beyond explanation to open in the laboratory, and used his powers to escape the facility. Last night, one of the scientists' body was found in the only elevator that reached the lower levels of the facility. Completely mangled, and torn to shreds from the stomach to the neck. Dr.Zarkon declared the lower level to be off limits until his men could find whatever had disemboweled the scientist.