Chapter Twelve

Hope watched as Pierce alighted from the carriage then turned to offer her his hand. She looked at it momentarily, entertaining the idea of ignoring his assistance and getting out herself, but with her foot still hurting her, she was afraid she would just stumble and make a fool of herself in front of him and all the servants who were lined up along the drive in their maroon and gold livery. Reluctantly, she took his hand and stiffened when she felt his other hand go to her waist, pulling her close to his side. She wasn't sure what kind of game he was playing, but she suspected he was doing it for the servants' sake, not hers.

He led her over to the line of servants saying, "I would like to introduce you to Lady Noelle, my fiancée. I trust that you all will make her feel welcome, seeing as this will soon be her home."

The mention of Ridgecrest Manor being her home made her look at it with new eyes. She looked up at the grey stone house boasting gabled windows and six chimneys. Everything was built symmetrically, with identical wings on either side of the main house and an even number of windows encased in white trim dotting the front of the house. Thick, green ivy crawled up the front of the brick. It had a welcoming aura about it, and Hope couldn't wait to see if the inside was just as inviting.

After greeting the servants, Pierce ushered her into the large, marble foyer with high beamed ceilings. Everywhere she looked there was intricately carved woodwork that gave the home character. Pierce led her into the drawing room where a middle-aged lady rose from her seat and flung herself into his arms, giving Hope a chance to take in her surroundings.

The room was decorated predominantly in shades of blue and ivory with gold accents throughout. It was by far the most elegant room Hope had ever been in, and she felt at once out of place in such fancy surroundings. There was an oversized, white marble fireplace on the far wall flanked by statues dipped in gold. White hothouse roses were stuffed into vases and scattered throughout the room, giving it a light and airy feel. After surveying the room, Hope's gaze went to the woman at the duke's side. She had dark hair like her son's, but hers was streaked liberally with grey. But instead of making her appear older, it just added to her sophistication. Her complexion was flawless. The only thing giving away her age were the tiny lines around her mouth and in the corners of her eyes, indicating that she smiled often.

Soon the lady turned from Pierce and wrapped her arms around Hope, surprising her by the familiar contact. "It's so nice to finally meet the lady who will become my daughter."

Hope pulled back and said, "It's nice to meet you as well, Your Grace."

"First, let's dispense with the formality, call me Mother or Caroline, if you must, but never Your Grace. You're practically family, and that just won't do."

Hope smiled at the lady, liking her immediately. If only she could say the same for her son.

"That goes for me as well," Pierce interjected, "From now on you may refer to me by Christian name." Hope nodded apprehensively, feeling discomfited by the prospect of referring to her betters in such a casual, personal manner. She had never before referred to a member of the aristocracy as anything other than their proper title, and she wasn't sure she was ready to start now.

"Let me ring for tea, and we can talk about the upcoming party. I have some fascinating news." Caroline gestured for Hope and Pierce to sit before giving instructions for tea and cakes to be brought to the room.

Pierce took Hope's arm in his and walked her politely to a blue damask settee and waited patiently while she sat. Hope wanted to roll her eyes, having much preferred to sit in one of the ivory and gold striped chairs instead, for she knew that Pierce had planned to sit next to her on the settee, and she felt her hands grow clammy at the thought of his nearness. Sure enough, as soon as she had arranged her skirts and made herself comfortable, he sat down next to her, suffocating her with his presence, but he didn't seem to notice.