Chapter Fourteen

By the time Hope had peeled the sopping dress off of her frame, Esther was pouring steaming buckets of water into the copper tub sitting in front of the fireplace. Hope looked longingly at the bath, grateful for the first time since this charade had started, that she was the one that would soon be enjoying the relaxing warmth of the water instead of the one pouring the buckets.

She quickly got into the tub, letting the warmth of the water distract her from Pierce and the unsettling feelings he roused in her. She felt foolish for giving into the passion that he sparked within her, knowing he gloated in the fact that she went weak under his expert caresses, as she was sure many women had done before her. She laid her head back against the edge of the tub and closed her eyes, resolving within herself to stop falling into the alluring trap of passion that the duke presented.

Hope hadn't realized how exhausted she had become. It was all she could do to pull herself from the tub and allow Esther to help her dry off and comb her thick waves until they were nearly dry before the fire. By the time Esther was done, Hope could barely muster enough energy to even think about getting dressed, and the thought of spending the evening with Pierce and Caroline drained the last of her reserves. Instead she made her way to her bed and curled up under the thick bed coverings, notifying Esther to inform the duke that she would not be dining with him tonight, before falling into a dreamless sleep.

The next thing she remembered was being awoken from her deep slumber by an incessant knocking at her door. She scurried out of bed, throwing a Chinese silk wrapper around her body, before rushing to see who was at her door. She was surprised to see Pierce standing there looking casual in his tan breeches, white linen shirt and riding boots.

Pierce drank in the sight of Noelle, all warm and cozy-looking from sleep. "Good morning, Noelle, I was worried when you didn't come down for dinner last night that you had either taken ill or were purposely avoiding me. It appears you are well, so I must conclude that it was the latter."

"Must everything always be about you? I was simply too exhausted after such a tiring day that I retired early." She explained, pulling her wrapper more securely around her body, trying not to let her surprise show that it was now morning. She could not believe she had slept so long.

Pierce laughed. "Someday you'll admit that you want me as much as..."

Hope cut him off. "As what? As much as you want me? Well then. Your Grace, someday is in fact today because I will indeed admit that I want you as much as you want me, which is not saying much. We have already established that. Now, if you don't mind, I would like some privacy to get ready for the day."

Turning back to her room, Hope let the door shut on its own, but before it could fully close, Pierce put one brown hand out and caught it. Much to Hope's horror, he followed her into the privacy of her bedchamber. Turning on him wildly she exclaimed, "What are you doing? This is highly improper, and I demand you leave at once!"

"It's my house, and I will do as I wish. Now calm yourself before your screeching alerts the entire household. I came to inform you that I will be touring part of the estate today and was wondering if you would like to come along. I've asked cook to prepare a picnic for us."

"Oh...that would be nice," she stammered, caught off guard by his suggestion.

Seeing the relief on her face, Pierce couldn't help but taunt her, "You didn't think I had come here solely to ravish you, did you?"

The blush that crept up her neck and scattered across her high cheekbones gave her away, though her words said otherwise, "Nonsense. Now kindly leave so I can ready myself. I will be down shortly."

Hope waited a couple of minutes after Pierce had left before calling for Esther, careful to make sure he wouldn't return and burst into her room once more. Esther helped her change into one of Noelle's dark blue riding habits before braiding her hair back and out of her face. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, Pierce was waiting for her. He reached for her hand, placing it in the crook of his elbow before guiding her out towards the stables.