Chapter Twenty

One of the hardest things Hope had to do was to leave Pierce at Ridgecrest Manor while she traveled with Esther back to the Earl of Brattondale's townhouse in Mayfair. Now that they had both openly admitted their love for each other, they scarce could be separated. Pierce had been just as reluctant to let her go but reminded her that she had wedding preparations to attend to and a trousseau to assemble in London and that while she was gone, he would be busy preparing the small chapel on his estate for their wedding as well as planning their wedding trip, which he insisted must be a surprise.

The day before she left he had taken her on a ride to the chapel nestled in a cozy setting next to a small pond. There had been a thick mist that morning leftover from the previous night's rain, and it had only added to the charm of the white stone chapel that was hundreds of years old, giving it the appearance of floating on a bed of clouds. The tall windows reached heavenward, ending in points that seemed to direct the patron's eyes in that very direction. The massive wood doors were arched and featured intricate ironwork. It was where Pierce's parents had been married, and it was perfect for the wedding they both envisioned—a small affair with family and a few friends. Neither of them was anxious to make a spectacle. ThoughPierce knew very well, that's exactly what the ton anticipated and expected. He, however, didn't care, this was their wedding, and they would do it their way.

Everything from the moment that Pierce had proclaimed his love for her had seemed so surreal to Hope. She hardly dared fall asleep at night for fear that she would awake in the morning and find out she had only been dreaming. After Pierce had helped her into the carriage, he leaned forward and placed a hand on her face, noticing the stark contrast of his tanned skin next to her own alabaster skin. He tenderly ran his thumb from her cheek down to her lips where he gently caressed them before he leaned and planted a firm kiss.

WhenHope finally gathered her wits about her, she spoke breathlessly, "I don't think I can handle a goodbye from you."

Pierce smiled, "Then no goodbyes will be spoken. And you have my word that the next time I see you, you'll never have to leave my side again."

"Never?" she asked hopefully and skeptically all at the same time.

Pierce laughed, "Of course I will still have matters of business to attend to, and I imagine once in awhile Elliot will persuade me to attendWhite's with him but," he reached out and tweaked her nose, "I will always come home to you, we will never be apart for long."

Hope leaned back on the bench of the carriage and sighed, "It sounds splendid."

"Perfectlysplendid. Now you better be off." He stepped back from the carriage, resisting the urge to take her in his arms once more. For he knew if he allowed himself another touch, he wouldn't be able to let her go. He stood in the drive and watched until the carriage was out of sight, feeling lonely all of a sudden once Noelle's presence wasn't there to infiltrate Ridgecrest manor and every crevice of his heart.

Hope couldn't help but reminisce about the ride they had made to Ridgecrest Manor a short week ago. Then Pierce had seemed such an enigma, somebody she would be forced to tolerate as a favor for Noelle. She remembered his outrageous claim of playing the pianoforte and the way he goaded her about her writings. She smiled to herself, now realizing she must have been attracted to him even then and more interested than she'd even been willing to admit. For if she had been truly indifferent to him, she wouldn't have let him rile her so.

By the time they arrived back in Mayfair, Hope was looking forward to a warm bath to wash away the dirt and grime from the road. She was informed immediately upon entering the house that Devon and LordBrattondale were attending the theater, and she couldn't even pretend to be disappointed by the news. She took her much-anticipated bath, then afterward had a tray of food brought to her. She ate hungrily of the beef stew and crusty bread, while Esther brushed her hair before the fire, lulling her into a complete trance, her thoughts reliving every glance, every touch from Pierce, as she highly anticipated a lifetime of scorching encounters.