The Med-Bot and the Organic

Earth. Nearly 15,000 years ago.

The planet was in the middle of a world-wide deep freeze. There was a thick sheet of ice that seemed to coat the entire planet, plunging it into an eternal winter. And still, even in this unforgiving environment, life continued to thrive. It was for this reason that Earth had become a place of interest for the Cybertronian Organic Research Division, or CORD for short.

CORD was a science division made up of Autobots fascinated with non-cybernetic based life forms. Among their ranks was the group leader Preceptor, followed by his three associates Wheeljack, Grapple, and Hoist. The four bots all manned their posts, scanning the planet with increasing interest.

"This is absolutely fascinating." Wheeljack commented as his optical sensors scanned the readouts. "Despite nearly 95% of the planet being covered in ice, I'm still picking up sporadic signs of life."

"Incredible." Grapple exclaimed, his fascination evident in his voice. "These organics must be resilient survivors."

"We'll need to collect a sample of any vegetation we can find." Preceptor suggested. "With it, perhaps we can better understand how this planet is still functioning."

"What about the other organic life?" Hoist asked. "The creatures indigenous to this sector?"

"What about them?" A groggy voice near the rear of the ship voiced.

The other Autobots turned to see Ratchet, a med bot they brought along on the mission in case one of them got injured. He was not as enthusiastic about the expedition as the rest of them, a fact that he had been more than willing to remind the crew.

"Well, wouldn't it be a good idea to bring along one of the primitive lifeforms of this planet?" Hoist clarified. "It would be the perfect chance to study their habits and capacity to learn."

Ratchet scoffed again, crossing his arms irritably. He was no fan of organic life, having witnessed more than his fair share of Autobots that had succumbed to some form of organic damage.

"Learn what?" The cranky med-bot questioned. "These primitive life forms are little more than a virus."

Preceptor just shook his head.

"Ratchet, we all have heard the story of organic life and the effect it has had on any Cybertronians that come into contact with it." He remarked. "That's why we need to learn everything we can about it, and Hoist's suggestion is a valid one. Having a living specimen to study could broaden our understanding of non-cybernetic lifeforms for stellar cycles to come."

"If you say so." Ratchet dismissed with a wave of his hand.

The med bot walked away as Grapple sighed. He crossed his arms as the door to the deck closed behind the retreating Autobot.

"Y'know, one of these days, that bot is gonna find something that pierces through his rusted out spark." Grapple remarked.

"Don't hold your code on that one." Hoist responded walking over to him. "That bot's a hard case to crack."

"Enough chatter." Preceptor interrupted, returning to their mission. "Prepare for landing."

Everyone went silent as they returned to their stations, beginning the landing procedures.

...

Down on the surface, a small tribe of humans gathered around a large camp fire, heating up some of the meat that the hunters had managed to bring back. Among these humans was a small girl, no older than 5 or 6 years old. She ran around the camp, smiling and laughing the entire time. The adults of the tribe watched her with kind smiles, rewarding her actions with small chuckles of their own.