Chapter 6- Bipolar

When I was younger, I lived in Mississippi with my grandparents, I remember how warm it was even in the winter it hardly got below fifty degrees. I miss that weather now, in rainy Washington and it is fall so it's way colder here. Mostly because of the rain and cloudy weather.

"Why do you find the sky so interesting? you act like you've never seen it before." Elliot's asks as we walk down the street, I hate to admit it but I feel safe he's, tall and tall people always have that feel of security.

"Have you noticed how much the weather has changed since the world has gone to hell? Usually Washington has the most rainy climate yet it doesn't rain as much now, it's just cold." I ponder earning a look of disbelief.

"There's dead people wandering around eating people and you are concerned about the weather?" He laughs. He actually laughs. Is this the same guy I met hours ago? One minute he's angry the next he's care free and making crude jokes?

"Stop laughing, it is just an observation." I mumble feeling embarrassed. My cheeks are probably a bright red by now.

"Well at least you aren't boring." He sighs.

Elliot seems like he's bipolar or something, my mother was the same way, angry and easily aggravated. Yet she was also the most understanding and kind woman, you'd ever meet. Well that was till before the..incident. I hope she's okay now, but I can't help buy wonder if she's still upset or is even worried about me.

She always cared more for my brother anyway. I was more of a daddy's girl.

"Is Ellie your only sibling?" I ask, he seems protective of her.

He squints at me obviously surprised at my personal question. It was a simple one that, yet I can see in his eyes he's thinking rather to tell me or not.

"Yeah, got a brother." He replies now looking forward, and lighting a cigarette.

Ew I hate cigarette smoke.

"Well what's he like?" I don't know why in so curious, probably because I can't figure his mood swings and want to see how far I can push it.

"He's not worth talking about" he takes a long drag off his cigarette and exhales slowly.

"Oh come on! Every sibling can be annoying, my older brother Henry, he gave me the worlds worst haircut when I was seven, oh and he would always still my dessert." I chuckled, Elliot's face went blank, I don't know what I said to anger him but he's mad really mad.

"He's shit. Doesn't care about anything, but his meth." He speaks like he's disconnected now, living in the wallow of his own memories. "He tried to kill my parents, he was so high didn't even know what he was doing, hell put my mom in the hospital." His voice is now low like he's talking about gum on the bottom of his shoe.

"But the sickest part of it all, was when he tried to rape his own sister."

I gasped loudly. What kind of guy tries to kill his parents? Rape his sister? I've dealt with some junkies in nursing schools, their behavior is erratic based on the drug is how long that lasts, it was always hard to find a vein, I felt bad for them addiction is a cruel disease, but I'm sure Elliot has no sympathy for his brother hell I don't.

I stop him and place my hand on his shoulder in which I get a quick shrug from him and a cold glare.

"So count yourself lucky if the meanest thing your brother did to you was cut your hair or steal your dessert." He's now dangerously close, nostrils flaring and I'm actually contemplating if he could kill with his electric blue eyes. "Be glad your life was filled with sunshine, some of us were too busy dealing with the clouds."