Chapter 8- A Different Side Of Leo

Haley

We were supposed to just stay one night at the small gas station, but it ended up being two whole days where none of us were allowed to even step foot outside, Jerry insisted we let Marley rest which is fine, but then he banned us from going outside claiming 'if people come in and out it's sure to attract unwanted attention' which is a smart thought, but boy did I miss fresh air,

But now that Marley is back on her feet and is looking much better we packed our things and now continue our journey, Amber and Travis of course are whispering to each other like usual keeping me out, boy do j feel like a third wheel, it seems like ever since we met this group they have become more and more distant with me, the whole two days they stayed together muttering few words to me, it's like they are mad at me for something I don't know I did. I'm not lonely though, Travis has Amber, Ellie has Elliot, Jerry has Marley and Cleo. I guess Leo and I are the only ones who don't have someone.

"What's your story, Leo?" I ponder. Since I have met this group my curiosity has spiked, after all I haven't seen many normal people since before the world went to hell, all that's out here is walking corpse that want to kill you and stupid raiders who would stab you over a can of beans.

"Well, I'm twenty-two. Grew up in Winthrop it was pretty small never liked it." He replies shielding his eyes from the sun, today is a bit warmer I'm very thankful for that.

"Winthrop, Washington? I've only been there once it had this sense of peace around it, like everyone who lived there was laid back." I went there once on a field trip, it wasn't exciting, but more relaxing then the big city I was used to.

"Small town means more gossip, I swear those church ladies got together just to spread rumors. Seemed like no secrets were secret for long." Leo chuckles. "I moved to King County, when I was nineteen, got a job as a mechanic and met Elliot, life was going pretty great, had a small apartment and was even engaged." His eyes glazed over, I can tell that was a touchy subject.

"King County? That's not too far from here." Seattle and King county, or Bellevue if you refer to the city is our neighbors so it's probably only an hour drive from where we are now.

"Nope, when shít hit the fan, I met up with Ellie and Elliot, figured out a plan to head to the nearest army base." He explains, but what about his fiancé and that Miranda girl? "But with rotters trying to eat you and raiders trying to put a bullet through your skull, we got turned around, lost even. Till we came across Jerry and Marley, we rescued them from a group of rotters and have been on the road ever since." Leo seems like an open guy, who has nothing to hide, maybe I can ask him about Miranda.

"Hey, Leo?" I capture his attention I guess he noticed my changed tone. "Who's Miranda?" I nearly whisper.

A flash hits in his eyes and without a second delay I'm pushed harshly up against a tree, the bark scraping my skin as my breathing quickens, he seemed so calm oh boy do I read people wrong. Why? Why do I always ask questions? Stupid Haley! Stupid Haley!

"You never speak of her again." Leo sneers close to my ear and is ripped off of me by Elliot, Travis comes to cup my face.

I watch as Elliot tried to calm down Leo, but Leo isn't having it as he practically has a stare down, no words are exchanged just a knowing look, and Elliot sends me a spoke chilling glare as he leads Leo away from my sight.