Chapter 1 - Happy Birthday

Authors Note - this story was originally written as part of the 2018 Open Novella contest, but not finished and published here for commentary. I expect it may change somewhat before the final version.

*******

For my eighteenth birthday, I received a box containing a watch and a diary.

Mom gave it to me after dinner. My birthday falls in the middle of May, so we normally just do a low key family dinner on my actual birthday. The big party would be a few weeks later after school let out for the Summer. This year it would be a combination graduation party too.

"Its from your father..." she said, cautiously. I took the package like it might burst into flames any second. We hadn't seen or heard from him in about five years. Its not like he was around much before that anyway.

"Dad was here?" I asked.

"Yes, before you got home. He didn't stay long, just dropped this off." she said, frowning. She knew talking about him would be upsetting, at the least.

"Did he say anything?"

"Just 'Happy Birthday', and that he was sorry he couldn't tell you in person. That you'll understand when you're older."

Not long after I turned thirteen he just stopped visiting. Mom said it was because of his job, and to keep us safe. She wouldn't tell me much more than that, just "the less you know the better." I know he lives near DC, so I always assumed he worked for the government or military. When I was younger I'd make up stories about how he was an international spy like James Bond, off saving the world. Now that I'm older I know it's more likely that he's involved in something illegal.

Before he disappeared, he would visit us at least a few times a year. Normally he'd stick around a day or two, take me to the movies or fishing or a baseball game. You know, dad stuff. I know he and Mom were never married, and I was what she politely called a "surprise". They never fought the way some of my friends' divorced parents did, and did their best to make sure I had everything I needed.

Dad was gone a lot, but he'd make up for it in really great ways. One year he got me a copy of a video game months before it was supposed to be released. My friends were super jealous of that. Or the year I turned eleven, I'll never forget it. He didn't make it on my actual birthday, but that was pretty normal for him. But he did show up a couple weeks later, and took me to see the Phillies play. We got to see Roy Halladay pitch a perfect game. How fricking cool is that? Theres like only 20 perfect games in the history of baseball, and we got to see one. Best birthday present ever, especially for a baseball crazy kid like I was at the time.

Ken, my stepdad, said "You don't have to open it in front of us if you don't want to."

Ken's a nice enough guy I guess, at least he makes mom happy and doesn't try too hard to take my dad's place. He and mom got married when I was eight. When he first moved in with us, he would try to push that father/son stuff and be a good role model, but he's cooled off since. The only really annoying thing about him is his insistence on calling me Andrew instead of Andy like everyone else.

I said, "No, its Ok." as I tore the wrapping paper. I peeled it back to reveal a brown leather book and small stainless steel box.

The book was an empty diary, and a rather nice one. The cover was soft brown leather, with my initials tooled into the corner. I had never even thought about writing in one before.

The steel box contained a sleek, modern looking watch, and a user manual the size of a pocket dictionary . I guess it's the kind of gift a dad gives his son that says "you're an adult now." It was jet black metal, and rectangular, with a digital readout, bigger and thicker than an Apple Watch but very light. The time was already set - it showed the day, month, and year, plus a couple other numbers I couldn't figure out. On the back was fine gold script that said Agilent Personal TTD, and a stylized "A" logo, same as on the box. I had never heard of them, but knowing Dad it's probably a really exclusive brand. I didn't even wear a watch, most people my age didn't. Why bother when your phone has the time on it?

"I know it must be difficult, not seeing him for so long, then suddenly dropping a gift like that." Mom said. "He really does want the best for you."

"He certainly hasn't shown it." I grumbled.

"Maybe he can't see you, but he's always made sure we have anything we need." That was true. Mom always said that he had made arrangements so money would never be a problem for us. We had a decent enough house in a nice suburb of Philadelphia, and I went to a private high school. Mom never had to work, but she put in a lot of time volunteering with stuff she enjoyed, or selling her artwork.

She reached for my hand. "It may seem now like he's trying to buy your love, but he's right. When you're older you'll understand."

"Maybe I'd rather have a dad who's here than money and stuff." I retorted sourly. "No offense, Ken."

Ken said "It's ok, I know what you meant."

"Thanks, Ken." I said, "I'm going to get some studying in. More exams tomorrow." I picked up the box and took it to my room. I had finals the rest of this week, then next week was just rehearsal and graduation. I had already been accepted at Penn State this fall, but I didn't want to fail any classes.

I sat on my bed and opened the blank diary. I had never written in one before, but this kind of felt right. Why not try it? What better time to put my thoughts down than now, when I was about to leave for college and start life on my own?

I found a pen and started writing on the first blank page. Nothing earth shattering yet, just a short account of the day. The paper seemed to soak up the ink and didn't smudge.

I was still upset about my dad showing up like this. It was bad enough for him to just disappear five years ago, but to drop back in and not even talk to me really hurt. Who does that their own kid? Maybe this was an attempt to make amends, or open communication again. If so, it didn't feel like a very good one.