Chapter Two

The days are passing horribly, the tenseness in the house making me constantly on edge. There is nothing that can be done about it, though. Mom had told me that I had to stay away from Matty until after the pack meeting, something that I hate. At least someone was on our side though. Dad was passive about everything going on, being a neutral force in a house full of conflicting views.

A knock sounds on my door, jarring me out of my reminiscing. "Mom wants to talk to you."

My brother walks away before I can respond, which couldn't make me happier. We haven't talked at all the last few days, but I have felt him watching me. Henry has always been the quiet, more reasonable one on the two of us. But even he has been forced out of his comfort zone.

Sighing, I force myself to get up, grabbing the nearest pair of pants and slipping them on. Mom is waiting for me in the kitchen, eyes tracking me as I walk into the room. There is nothing on the counters except for an old wicker basket, the one we use for picnics.

"You wanted to talk to me?" I ask, sitting on the barstool directly across from Mom.

He just nods, pushing the basket closer to me. "I know I told you that you had to stay away from Matty, but I can see how much it is hurting you. Liam and I talked, and apparently Matty isn't doing much better. So, we decided to set up a picnic for the two of you." He gestures to the picnic basket. "You're to meet at the same place you stayed during the Mating Ceremony."

My heart pics up, and for the first time in what feels like forever, I actually smile. Pushing myself away from the counter, I go around to hug Mom. He just pulls me close, pressing a kiss to my hair. "But this has to be our secret, okay. If anyone else finds out, we could all get I some serious trouble."

Nodding my head, I pull away. "Thank-you."

He reaches up, brushing a few strands of hair from my face. "Of course, monkey. Now, get out of here before your brother comes down. I don't need him even more pissed at me."

That has me pausing, hand on the handle of the basket as I look back over at Mom. "How come you are siding with me, Mom? Everyone else seems to think that what Matty and I are doing is wrong."

He just gives a small smile, head tilting to the side. "Because you should have the ability to be with whoever you like. Your dad and I were never mates and we are both happier than ever. And I think Henry can have that with Rosalie and you can have that with Matty. You shouldn't be forced to be with someone you don't love, just because others think it is right."

Nodding my head, I pull the basket closer to me. Footsteps come from the floor above us, moving towards the stairs. Mom looks up at me again. "Hurry up, before your brother sees you leave."

I don't hesitate any longer, grabbing my shoes from the front door and leaving the house. Luckily, our house is on the border the rest of them, making it easy to slip away without anyone noticing. Since it is the end of summer, everyone is milling around, preferring to be outside rather than trapped in the stuffy indoors.

The fresh air is nice, a nice change from being inside. But it is not until I am out here that I realize how much I missed it. I had been training with Jesse for almost a year now, learning his trade. He was a quiet person, making it a nice getaway while we were trekking through the woods, tracking animals and learning about any new infected that may pass by.

The rest of my walk passes by peacefully. There aren't too many people out in this section of the woods, making it easy to dodge them. I can see why Matty likes it out here so much, with the almost complete isolation.

This time around, I take the extra few minutes to walk around the creek, not wanting to get completely soaked again. Matty is already waiting for me, a blanket spread out across the grass, and his own picnic basket sitting next to him.