Chapter Twenty-Eight

By the time I make it back to the village, everything is chaos. The infected and completely over the hill bordering the safe haven, and making their way down. Our own fighters are running to meet him, while those who are unable to fight are making their way to the caves.

Someone collides into me, almost making me fall to the ground, but hands grabbing onto my arms steady me.

"Rowan, thank god," a familiar voice says, voice rough. Liam looks me over before his eyes flick over my shoulder, clearly looking for his son. "Where's Matty?"

"He's in the orchard. He wanted me to get you."

"Oh god," he says, voice coming out shaky. "Is he hurt? I've been looking for him everywhere. The others are in the caves, but I couldn't stay there when I knew he was out here."

Shaking my head, I gently grab his arm, trying to reassure him. "No, he's not hurt, but he wants to complete the ritual between Rosalie and Henry. There is no way I could convince him otherwise. You know how stubborn he is."

He lets out a strained laugh. "Yeah, I do."

Screams cut through the air, and we both look over to the hills. The humans have finally broken through, and they are quickly following behind the infected, taking out anyone they can.

"He can't stay out there," Liam says, looking back over towards me. "Tell me where he is, and I'll drag him back if I have to."

Knowing that Matty won't budge until the ritual is complete, I don't try to argue with my Luna. Better for him to be there with Matty anyway.

"He's in the storage shed. But I need to get Rosalie, Noah, and Henry." He opens his mouth to protest, clearly not wanting the ritual to be performed right now, so I hurry forward. "They will be added protection, and he needs it with two babies."

"Two babies?"

"He can explain that for you, but I have to go."

Liam looks back towards the hill, nodding his head. "You do. Go. I'll get the others." He leaves then, jogging in the direction of Taylor's tent.

The worry inside me grows stronger, but I know that the village cannot afford for me to go back to my boyfriend and our children. The best way to protect him would be to fight the infected and humans, attempt to stop them before they make it all the way to the village.

People are running all around, and I have to try and dodge them in order to make it to my tent. By some type of miracle, I am able to make it back to my tent without running into anyone else.

The homey ness of the tent make my heart clench, but strengthens my resolve. The crib and the disarrayed blanket son the bed remind me who I am fighting for.

Taking a deep breath, I walk over to the bed. Tucked between the tent wall and the bed are my weapons. As quickly as I can, I strap on my holsters, placing my daggers inside. The last thing I grab is the weighted, wooden club I had gotten during my first week here. It fits perfectly in my hand, excellent for taking out any infected with one swipe.

Grabbing the clanked, I bring it up to my face, breathing in the scent of Matty, Elias, warmth, and milk. It takes a lot of effort to put the blanket back down and move out of the tent, but I do it anyway. I trust Liam to gather the others and make it back to Matty. We can't afford for me to not trust them.

Steeling myself, I start into a job towards the hill. More people are joining the fight, clearly just as willing to fight for their village and loved ones.

Seeing Erik and Jesse at the end slope of the hill, I make my way over to them. Jesse catches sight of me first, ushering me over.

"Where is your brother?"