Chapter 8

Surprising us both was how easy it was to creep unnoticed around Portland. We kept to the coast and though lights from the city could be seen, we were still a good enough way away that we couldn't sense the vampires there and they couldn't sense us. But that didn't mean we didn't meet other vampires – because we did, though thankfully they didn't pay us any particular attention.

"We'll be in Seattle tomorrow and we should head straight to a Blood Hotel," Nox said as dawn approached and I could only agree. The sharp claws of my hunger had been scraping by throat for several days and I found it harder to concentrate.

We hadn't come across any other humans, but Nox said it was normal when close to the major cities where vampires ruled.

"Although I've heard Seattle might be different." Noticing my frown, Nox continued. "Back in LA I met some vampires who'd come down from there and the way they spoke of the city, how humans still lived there."

"Really?"

"Yes, though I guess I have to see it for myself to believe it. That because we are confined to the night, humans can live relatively normal during the day."

"But wouldn't vampires just go on killing sprees at night then?" Logically, that made most sense to me, but Nox shook his head.

"Not necessarily, because if all vampires did that, like Shax's people did in LA, then eventually there would be no one left." I noticed how he'd excluded himself from being part of "Shax's people", but I refrained from commenting on it.

We found a house with a basement off the coastal road and made shelter for the day.

Two hours after sunset I found myself staring at a spectacular skyline in the distance – Seattle. We'd finally made it and the thought of my father living somewhere in there, so close, it had my mind all over the place.

"We'll find him," Nox said reassuringly as his hand grazed mine before finally taking it and squeezing it in comfort. "But we need to find you some blood before even thinking of going near your father."

"And you – you need to feed as well."

His crimson eyes bore into mine as he replied. "Yes, I do."

The streets of the fabled Seattle were brightly lit and more crowded than I'd expected. I could smell humans all around us and it had my hunger going insane, so much so that Nox kept a firm grip on my arm as we walked along the street.

The humans I did spot all wore some kind of bracelet and several had large silver necklaces on, blessed no doubt, to keep their necks off limits.

"What are those bracelets for?" I asked as I watched a young blonde girl, human, walking with a tall, pale man that was a vampire.

"Protector bracelets perhaps? But I'm not sure," Nox replied, following the girl with his eyes. She didn't seem to be afraid of being in a crowd of vampires.

"So that vampire is protecting her? What for?"

"In exchange for blood, maybe."

Protection in exchange for blood. Huh. I guessed Los Angeles could have learned a trick or two from these people.

Nox approached another vampire, inquiring about the closest Blood Hotel and he soon returned, telling me there was one just up ahead. Turning from the main street we headed up a smaller cobblestone road, but right ahead I could see the red neon sign indicating the location of a Blood Hotel.

Nox paid for a room and I had to try and contain myself from just grabbing the key and rushing to whomever I could willingly sink my teeth into. The bond must have relayed this because Nox grasped my hand and pulled me to him.