Chapter 21

Nox and I didn't speak as we finished our drinks alone in the study. There was a pretty big chance that someone somewhere was listening in on us in case we slipped up and said something we shouldn't. So, we didn't for a while until,

"We should retire for the night," Nox said and gently rose from his seat. I stood as well and, remembering what King Pedro had said, called softly, "Felipe."

The vampire entered the study seconds later, smiling softly at me, "hello again."

I returned the smile. I quite enjoyed Felipe's company.

"We wish to be shown to our room," Nox told Felipe who nodded and beckoned for us to follow him.

We walked upstairs and I was a little surprised to find myself back in the room with the big closet full of clothes. The large bed looked so invitingly.

"Now if you please," Felipe said, focused on Nox, "your room is across the hall." Both Nox and I turned to look at him.

"I'm staying with Emily."

"Please, sir, His Majesty would prefer you to have separate quarters." He sent me an apologetic look.

"I'll be right in there if you need me," Nox told me, pointed look and everything. He knew something was up. I nodded and the two men left me in the large bedroom alone and as the door shut I sat myself down on the giant, soft bed. Another click, like a lock sliding into place had me running at the door, pulling at the handle. Locked.

"Hey!" I pounded on the door repeatedly. "What the hell is going on?"

I took a step back into the room. "Nox!" I called out, but only silence greeted me. Nox couldn't hear me. Was he locked in as well? What was the king playing at? My fists clenched and I felt my powers ignite inside of me. Maybe I could blast myself out of here? Or maybe? I went to one of the windows overlooking the treetops with the Seattle skyline in the background, bathed in the dark blue predawn light. It only took a few attempts at trying to break the glass for me to realise it was no good. Unless I used my powers, there was a fat chance of me getting out of here.

"Fuck!" I cursed loudly. My anger instantly activated the energy coursing through me, but in such a state I could easily do more harm than good.

Looking at the approaching dawn I felt my body steadily growing heavier. Even if I could break down the door and Nox's and get out of here, I couldn't fight off the sleep that was so rapidly approaching. We had nowhere to go. So instead I settled myself on the bed. I assumed, like everything else in this house, that the windows were vampire proofed and if not, well, not like I could do much about it anyways.

The bed was soft, the sheets silky smooth against my skin and before sleep consumed me I just lay there, running my hands up and down the white fabric.

***

I awoke abruptly at the sound of the lock sliding back. I sat up, having not bothered to take off my clothes and was standing ready, palms raised as the door softly opened, revealing a cautious-looking Felipe.

"Felipe, why the hell did you do that last night?"

"Emily, please believe me when I say it was for your own safety."

"Where's Nox?"

"King Pedro is waiting for you in the dining room. I'm here to escort you there and to ask if you wish to change your outfit?"

"I don't want to change I want to know where Nox is."

Felipe was standing as still as a statue, his features in a smooth, unreadable mask.