Chapter 12

I blinked, repeatedly. This was probably the last place I'd imagine seeing Grant and clearly the feeling was mutual.

"You two know each other?" Grant and Jonathan spoke at the same time, their words echoing off the walls and I couldn't tell who was more surprised, them or me.

"How do you know each other?" I asked, looking between the two.

"Business partners," Grant replied. He pointed at me then my father, "and you?"

"She's my daughter," Jonathan said as a matter of fact.

Grant's hand fell to his side. "Your what?"

"That's why I'm here," I said as Grant lifted his hand again, but this time to run it through his tousled hair.

"I had no idea."

"Why would you? I never told you about her," my father said calmly, "but how you two know each other, is what I'd like to know."

Grant suddenly smiled. "We just met earlier tonight actually. It appears that Emily used to roam around with my brothers."

My father raised his eyebrows, looking as if he wanted to ask something else, but stopped and I suddenly I realised I hadn't told him what had happened to my mom, his wife. He must know, I thought to myself; that she isn't alive or she'd have been here with me. He nodded as if having come to the same conclusion, and I figured we'd eventually get to have a proper conversation about everything that had happened. It would be nice to get closure in that way, to finally be able to put my mind to rest about what had transpired that night and all events leading up to it.

Throughout all of this, Nox had stayed quiet and perfectly still by my side, but because of the bond I could feel him simmer. He was good at keeping his emotions in check on the outside and I could tell he was already trying to piece everything together, though how, I had no idea. Instead of trying to wrack my brain to come up with an explanation I decided to let them tell me instead. It would be much easier.

"How did you come to work together?" I asked.

"It's a long story," Jonathan said, but apparently didn't elaborate further. I wondered if I'd get to hear it at some point.

"We should get going," Nox said, breaking his own silence, but my freaky internal clock said there was still well over five hours until sunrise. Why did he want to leave already? When we had only just gotten there after traveling all this way.

"Will you be back? Tomorrow night perhaps?" A hint of desperation lay beneath my father's words and his eyes never strayed from mine.

"Of course," I said without hesitation or before Nox could say something different. It was why we were here after all, so keeping me away was the last thing he could or should try to do.

"We have so much to talk about." My father knitted his hands together, fidgeting. A memory from my childhood surfaced; a picture of him standing in our living room acting just like this. He would knit his hands together whenever he was nervous about something. Whenever he'd done something that he knew my mother wouldn't have approved off. Unable to stand still, he'd be like this until he'd told her whatever it was he'd been keeping from her.

Grant had moved to come and stand next to Jonathan. He was smiling, seemingly happy about this little reunion, clearly unaware of the actual situation.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you again, Emily," he said, and at this Nox took my hand. His intentions couldn't have been clearer than if he'd grabbed my face and kissed me right there.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I said to my father, who smiled and nodded, but didn't try and hug me again. Despite having only seen him for maybe half an hour or less, it was hard to turn around and walk away from him. I knew I'd be seeing him tomorrow night, but it didn't make it any easier.