Chapter 6 - Drake

I couldn't believe she actually agreed to have a date with me, even though we'd spent the whole day together. We'd known each other for a couple hours at most.

I kept glancing over at Nyx as we walked to the parking lot. She was smiling down at her shoes. It was adorable. I find it hard to believe that she liked me, though I'd been on my fair share of dates before. I was a little bit of a player, I guess. I'd never been in love before, though. I don't know what it feels like, and I have nothing to compare it to, but I think I am in love with Nyx.

She's so different than other girls. She's not shallow at all, though she does like to tease me. She's gorgeous, but she doesn't flaunt it, or put others down based on the fact that she's the most beautiful person in the world. Which is certainly true.

I walk up to my motorcycle. "Well, here she is. Unless you'd like to ride in your vehicle..."

"Oh, I don't have a car. This is cool." Nyx said, staring excitedly at my motorcycle, which I paid for myself. It is my baby, and I've fixed it up pretty well.

"Glad you like it." I handed her a helmet, which she put on and strapped. I swung my leg over and said, "Come on."

She swung her leg over, and immediately hugged around my chest so she wouldn't fall off when we started moving. I looked down at her arms around me, and grinned a little.

The motorcycle's motor revved twice, then started moving at a relatively slow speed. But when we got out of the parking lot, I ramped up the speed a lot. Soon, we were flying down the freeway, and Nyx laughed behind me.

When we pulled in to the steakhouse on the side of the road, Nyx was reluctant to get off. I smiled and held out my hand, which she took, and let me pull her off the motorcycle. I didn't let her hand go as we walked in.

"Table for two, please." I said.

"By the window, if you can." Nyx added. I looked at her a little strangely. Well, maybe she thought window seats were more romantic or something.

The lady nodded, and guided us to a seat right by the window. We sat down, and the lady lit a little candle in the middle. Nyx's gorgeous face was illuminated, and the tiny flame's glow shone on her braided hair.

I struck up a conversation, but she seemed distracted. She kept glancing out the window. "Hey, is everything ok?" I asked tentatively.

"Fine, fine. What time does the sun go down today, would you say?"

I furrowed my brow. What a weird question. "Uh, in maybe thirty minutes? Why?"

"Oh, no reason, no reason. Where's that waitress?"

I was very confused. She seemed to be in a hurry to get out of here, though we'd barely sat down. "Is everything ok? Do you have to be somewhere?"

"Everything is fine."

A waitress walked up to our table. "Hi, I am Lindsay, and I'll be your waitress for today. Would you like to start with drinks?"

"Actually, I think we're ready to order food now. I'll have the half pound steak and a side salad, please. Just water for a drink." Nyx said.

"Uh... I'll take the brisket and a Coke, please." I said.

The waitress left. Nyx stared out the window nervously. I could feel her foot jiggling under the table.

"Seriously, do you need to be somewhere or something? Was this not a good time?"

"No, no, it's just my... mom... wants me home early tonight. She wants to know all about the new school and such. I should probably get going, actually. But we should do this again. Sorry for cutting it short." She stood up, pushing her seat away and sliding past the table next to ours.

"Oh... ok. Maybe in a few days, then?"

"Sure, sure. Thanks again. And sorry." She walked out of the restaurant, leaving me with a sad little flame on a worn-out candlestick that seemed to sway with sympathy. I wondered what I did wrong.

Did she just not like me? Was that it? I highly doubted that her mom wanted her home before eight o'clock. I mean, no one is that overprotective, right?

When the food came, the waitress said nothing about Nyx leaving. She just gave me a sad look, and took back the steak Nyx had ordered.