0.4 >> truth in cliche

(An edit I made of Dana above :])

Once I finish walking home, I check the mail (Randy's 'liver' joke didn't ease my nerves) and take the key from my backpack. The grass was clean, there wasn't a rope on the tree with a puddle of blood under it anymore, and the glass had just been replaced. It wasn't safe anymore, though. It wasn't me and Casey watching Halloween anymore and making popcorn. It was burnt popcorn and the smell of blood. You could febreeze that shit all you want, but staying here was staying in hell.

I walk up the stairs to the guest room, staring at the boxes we had finished hauling in the morning before. The last time me and Casey would listen to rock music on the radio and talk about the school year that she wouldn't live to see. I start pulling my clothes into drawers, and pulling out a picture frame of me & Tyler. I shake away the memory, putting it into the back of my bottom drawer, instead putting a picture of me, Erin & Nicolle in swimsuits by the beach this summer on the drawer. I fall back on my bed, looking at the pale pink walls and dim chandelier. This wasn't home. 

But I fell asleep anyway, not sure if I wanted to wake up the next day. My house was in the neighborhood of the Loomis', and I contemplated calling over Erin to watch a movie. My uncle and aunt wouldn't be home until around midnight, which already got me a little nerved up. At this point, I was worried about ending up just like Casey. Gutted and hung. 

Who would have anything in their hearts to want to kill Casey? She was such  a sweet, innocent girl. The school is really doing a good job at playing up the whole "Everyones a suspect" thing, but my mind is doing that too. Tatum was considered her rival, Randy is joking about it like it never even happened, and for fucks sake, Stu knows how to gut someone. I luckily dodged the interviews the police were doing all day, mostly because the principal is apparently quite the creep. 

~~~~~~~~

I wake up, and look at the digital clock I had placed on my dresser, and untangle myself from a mound of stuffed animals. Did I seriously take a three hour nap? I start brushing out my hair that had mopped around my face (I need to just cut it all off with how much it gets in the way) when I get a phone call.

I head over to my phone, picking it up and pressing it to my ear. "Hello?"  

"Heyy, it's Sidney." a voice on the other line says. I'm almost happy to hear it's her. "You wanna come over to my place? Me and Tatum are gonna watch some movies, eat some junk. She's heading over to get the movie now, so it'd just be us for 20 minutes or so if it's cool with you?"

"Of course." I smile, looking at the sun starting to go down. It was getting darker and darker earlier, so I should get to her place before it's pitch black. "I'll head over now, should I bring anything?"

"Nah, we're just gonna make popcorn." She says. "See you then," She gives me her address and hangs up. I write the address on my arm, and grab my bike. I head over, and knock on the door. She answers it, and smiles at me. "I'm so glad you could come, if it's just me and Tatum, she'll start talking about the shit her and Stu do at night."

We both simultaneously shudder. "Yeah, I don't need that mental image." I say. We get on the couch and she puts the popcorn on, as the phone rings. "You want me to pick it up?"

"Sure." She says from the kitchen. Honestly, this night in with my new friends is just what I need to take my mind off of things. "It's probably Tatum."

I pick up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello." Says a voice on the other end of the line. I'm no expert on my new friends or whatever, but that is most definitely not Tatum. "Who is this?"

"Who do you need?" I say, crossing my arms. 

"You tell me." It says. It sounds like some gremlin under a bridge, but yet the voice unsettles me. "Who am I speaking to?"

"Dana," I say slowly. "Are you one of Sid's friends? Do you want me to put her on the line?"

"No." It speaks clearly. "I want to play a game with you Dana. What's your favorite scary movie?"

It was in that moment I realize this was probably Stu and Randy playing a trick. "Childs Play," I say hesitantly. Sidney walks in with the first batch of popcorn. She mouths 'who is it.'. "I dunno, it's for you." I hand her the phone. 

"Ugh. It's a prank call, probably Randy or some shit." She rolls her eyes. "I love the thing you do with your voice Randy. It's sexy. Toodles." She hangs up the phone. "He's such a dipshit sometimes."

The phone rings again, and I pick it up. "You should check your patio, Sidney."

"This is Dana, and I can see it from here. You're not out there. Quit calling us." I start to hang up, but then the voice gets angrier, and pulls the ultimate red-card of prank calls.

"If you hang up you're gonna die just like your WHORE cousin Dana Becker!" It shouts. The blood almost drains from my face. Sidney was close enough to me that she heard it. I look at her. "There. Are you gonna stay on the line now?"

"FUCK YOU!" I shout, hanging up the phone. Sidney is rubbing my shoulder, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. Suddenly, theres a rumbling from the closet. Me an Sid look at eachother, before the door busts open and a man in a dark cloak, combat boots and a ghostface mask runs out, wielding a knife. "Run. NOW!"