Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Six

SIX: The 'first date'

               I T was supposed to be a long walk, long enough that I could learn more about Emily but with the distraction of the paps, Emily's questions and her hand in mine, we arrived at The Cheesecake Chopper all too fast.

The Cheesecake Chopper looked like all other vintage American diners; fluorescent signs, round and homely, chequered tiles, red metallic coloured booths, old baseball photographs and endless pictures of old jazz players. As I scanned the diner, I squeezed Em's hand in reassurance and smiled at her over my shoulder. It wasn't long until Jacquie's motherly voice boomed.

"Lincoln!" she shouted.

I cast my eyes towards the sound of her voice and found her bounding over towards us. Though incredibly motherly, she challenged all traditional norms. She had these colourful tattoos running down each arm with equally bright red hair styled up in this sort-of-beehive-hairdo. She also always wore enough rings to cover any sort of flesh and bright pink stockings that never matched what she was actually wearing. Bottom line; she stood out.

She was smiling brightly as she pointed to my usual spot before her eyes landed on Emily.

"Oh, fuck," she swore before clamping one hand over her mouth. "Oh my, God."

I snorted and immediately cracked up at her reaction. Around us, patrons had turned in their seats to see what all the commotion was all about and it wasn't long until little 'oooo's' or the f-bomb were thrown around a bit.

"Lincoln Parker, please don't tell me you brought Emily Margot into my crappy little diner," she uttered.

I purposely smiled weirdly at her then turned to Em. "So close but this is actually Em's stunt double Margot Emily, a very sweet girl actually," I said with a pleading look.

Jacquie understood and closed the space between us and smiled in the most normal way she could. "Of course, welcome Margot, it's good to see Lincoln with someone. It's about time he brought someone here," she forced out and immediately gestured us towards my usual booth.

Emily returned the pleasantries before leading the way towards the window booth but before I could follow, Jacquie's iron grip had me.

"Care to explain what the hell just happened?" she asked, and I turned to her with one of my dickhead smiles.

"I'm on a date," was all I said.

As I slid myself onto the bright fabric and felt its chilly smoothness against my palms, I instantly felt at home.

"Cheesecake Chopper Special thanks Jacquie and it's on me," I ordered over my shoulder and chuckled when I saw her staring at us in shock.

I winked at her before turning back to Emily. She was watching me with humoured eyes and a crooked smile.

"You don't have to pay for me," she said, and I shrugged.

"I know I don't, but I get family discount so might as well," I explained.

I then stretched my arms over the silver table and began drumming my fingers atop of it. Emily had cast her eyes out the window, her hands beneath the table. Her soft smile slowly turned into a frown.

"I don't know why they find me so fascinating," she said quietly.

I grinned. "They're actually taking pictures of me, Actress," I chuckled and watched as her smile quickly returned again.