Chapter 7

Handrell and I walk into the card room, to find it only occupied by the pale firelight. At this moment I don't dread the new day. Instead I relish in this small moment of peace as I stand hear with Handrell.  "What are you two doing just standing there, pack!" I turn and notice Melisandre, a ruffled mess. Standing in the archway.  "Pack?" I say raising a brow. "Yah, we need to be ready twerp. You taught me that." Just as I say that the front door bursts open and Xanthus stumbles, his shirt undone, revealing the train of muscle and freckles that dot his chest. "Y, you." He stumbles as he points a finger in my direction. Handrell in turn stepping in font of me, I push out of the way stepping towards Xanthus, bile rising in my throat.  "Majesty, is there something you need? I beleive your intoxicated." He stumbles hitting the card room door frame. "I know there is something going o, on. " He says as his start to roll. "Xanthus I beleive you're mistaken." Melisandre says as she steps towards Handrell, hands risen. Face pale. By now the rest of the household has gethered. "No I am not, mis, mistaken. Guards!" My heart   sinks low into my chest. "Majesty, your beside yourself." I say to the guards as they aprroach us. Gideon cringes back towards the stairs, hovering by Akal. Derraven moving towards the card room. Then I nearly scream as Handrell joins Xanthus.  "Traitor!" I scream as I thrash against a guard. Tears stream down my cheeks.  " I trusted you, for years! You coward." Handrell doesn't even flinch as the guards hall us away. "You bastard!" Gideon says as he is escorted out. "I came to you for everything. I told you everything. Handrell I loved you! I wasn't going to say it until we kissed. I trusted, we all trusted you." Tears have now soaked my dark green tee. "We were your friends!" He only offers a sly grin. "No!" I sob as our plan crumbles to ash. As my friend fades. "I watch as one guard grips Akal's chin. "This one is pretty." She cringes away. "We are the king's high guard, you will not touch her!" I order. "Not anymore!" Handrell says as he walks towards the palace, a unconscious Xanthus slung over his shoulder. I fall limp, the guards dragging me over rock and earth, blood soaking my trousers as I sob. I thrash and kick.

They toss us into a cell. The cold wet smell searing into me. The reek of piss and blood cause my head to throb. Derraven beats against the stone wall. "It will do no good." Akal says, huddled in a corner. "We are going to die any way." I stand, wincing from my torn knees, bloodied skin stretching. "We are not!" I say.  "There are going to many disappointments along this journey, believe me. But we are a revolution and we are not ending with a dream in our hearts. We will make it  shine brighter than any star. We are peace makers. Derravan, your cunning. Akal, sly. Gideon witty. Melisandre, strong willed.  Mikal, strong. You all are my friends. I love you all, just as we all loved Handrell. He was strong in every aspect, indeed. But he was week in here." I say putting a palm over my chest. "But we are strong in there. Very strong. That is how we will bring this to pass. We will be thrust into traps, be betrayed, get hurt, physically and emotionally. But those are just things to make our flames burn brighter. You will feel the weight of this, but it will make us stronger. We will bring the new age." I sit. Everyone's eyes glazed. "And you wise one will be our queen." Derraven smiles. I snicker. We raise our heads and begin our great escape.