| Chapter Three |

A few days later, we had our first lesson with the new DADA teacher, Professor Quirrel.

Well, I say 'we' but I really mean 'I'. I was in the OWL level DADA class that year, because Dumbledore thought it would be good to 'challenge' me. I'm smart, but not naturally. My brains come from constant reading and study, which was stressful but kind of worth it because I was in a class with Oliver.

Anyway, Quirrel was holding an iguana of some sort - I couldn't tell you, I wasn't really listening. To be honest I was a bit suspicious of him, what's someone that stutter-y doing teaching a bunch of in-your-face teenagers? I squint at the board as he noted something down, shaking almost comically. He's got to be faking that.

He turned back around, and picked up the lizard-thing again. "An i-iguana s-such as this... " Quirrell stuttered. Well, I was right about the iguana. AND the stuttering. Faker.

Just then, McGonagall opened the door. "Excuse me, Professor Quirrell- Could I borrow Wood and Granger for a moment?" she asked, bespectacled eyes glancing about the room.

"O-oh. Y-yes, of c-course." he stammered, and I rolled my eyes before getting up and walking out of the room with Oliver. 

We exchanged looks as we followed her into her office. Why did she want to speak to us? I wracked my brain, trying to remember if I'd said something rude to one of the teachers the past week.

Oh dear. Harry was sitting in one of the wooden chairs in front of her desk. Were Oliver and I witnesses? What was going on?!

"Potter," she called, and his head snapped around to stare at me. I gave him a little wave. "this is Oliver Wood and Athena Granger." McGonagall continued, gesturing to Oliver and I. "Wood, Granger I have found you a Seeker!"

A grin cracked Oliver's face and I patted Harry on the back. We haven't had a seeker this young in... well, definitely not during my lifetime.

----

A few days later, Oliver decided he wanted to start teaching Harry how to play Quidditch. He asked me to help, but I had to study with Cedric. I didn't tell him that, I just said I had some stuff to catch up on in the library. Thank god none of my friends like the librarian.

I decided to take the shortcut to the library, so I made my way down the moving stairs, and to the portrait of the stuffy old scholar. I muttered the password - studious success -  and the portrait smiled, swinging open and letting me through.

I jogged down the short corridor that the Grey Lady haunted. I'm pretty sure she's the Ravenclaw ghost... I mean, it makes sense since she hangs out right next to the library.

I turn into the library, and nearly bump into Cedric coming the other way. "Agh!" I half-shriek. He laughs at me.

"I was just coming to see where you were!" he laughed, ruffling my hair and messing it up. This earned him a glare, but he just told me I looked silly.

We spent a couple of hours in the library - most of it chatting - before I caught a glimpse of the time and realised that dinner was being served.

Cedric invited me to sit with him, but the twins and Oliver were glaring at me so I refused.

Oliver and the twins weren't the only ones glaring when Cedric gave me a quick peck on the cheek - quite a few of his obsessive fangirls were muttering amongst themselves and shooting me some pretty aggressive  death glares.

----

I sat in the library after dinner just studying potions because I was bored. The twins weren't up to anything interesting, and I'm a little behind anyway.

"Hey, Athena... you couldn't do me another favour, could you?" I heard from behind me. I turned around, and saw Cedric there, scratching the back of his neck.

"That depends" I said "on what it is. Commit murder? No. I can't help you with that. But feed the giant squid? Of course."

"I don't suppose... you could help me with my Transfiguration homework?" he asked sheepishly and I grinned and rolled my eyes.

"What a silly question. Of course. I'm  free tomorrow - and I'm pretty sure we have 2nd and 3rd periods free anyway." I asked, and he nodded.

"Then meet me at the black lake and we can study there, and you chose the right person to ask for Transfiguration," I called, walking back to the Gryffindor common room and going to my dorm, turning in for an early night.

----

"I told you - I'm going to help someone with Transfiguration!" I shouted to Oliver, the two redheads and Lee.

"But... who!?" Oliver gasped theatrically, and I sighed.

"A friend," I huffed, digging through my trunk for a spare quil.

"perhaps... a... boyfriend?!" Lee and George mused, through the girl's dorm room door.

"No! a friend who happens to be a boy." I repeated, rolling my eyes as I picked up my satchel and leaving the dorm. The boys stand to the side to let me storm past.

"So... it's a boy?" Fred said, and I sighed again, climbing out of the portrait hole.

"Goodbye." I huffed, slamming the portrait behind me. The fat lady yells at me, but I was late so I just legged it all the way to the lake. By the time I got there, I was panting like anything. I sat below the oak, got out my Transfiguration books and began to wait.