chapter one

1:0
life's a bitch and then you die

Nostalgia is a funny thing. I take a bite from my apple, my feet dangling over the edge of Trallinger city's highest new skyscraper. The lights of the capital letters FADE CO-OP illuminate my small figure like a spotlight. Directly across from me is the second highest building, Trallinger city's very own social security tower, the highest floor a forty five degree angle from my line sight. Finishing off my apple, I chuck the core at that window. I remember sitting facing out of it, staring at the city below me.

The last time I was there, both my parents were alive.

Stupid memories.

My hair whips across my face as I stare across the city, buildings jutting out like disjointed icicles and shimmer against the starless sky.

It's been half a decade since my parent's death and a lot has changed since then. And Riley. A sharp stab at my heart reminds me of my twin brother. A huge hero of the city along with the other dominating superhero of the city, NightShade.

NighShade? more like Night-pain-in-my-gorgeous-ass.

"Thinking of a way to take over the city?" A deep voice resonates behind me. It's a verry attractive voice if I'm truthful. And a voice I know too well.

"Actually," I pick up my mask lying beside me and quickly place it on my face, the efficient technology goes to work and covers the area around my eyes, "I was thinking about how your superhero name might just be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. NightShade? Really? You don't even get shade at night, it's almost as bad as NightScreen, honestly, that was your first consideration for a name wasn't it? Night-screen isn't a thing, the only UV rays you'll be receiving at night is from your phone."

"That's an enlightening monologue, maybe you should enlighten me on why you're in the most generic place for us SuperHeros?"

"It's a nice view. Did you know, at least twenty two people kill themselves from jumping off of this very ledge in a year?"

"Are we expecting a tragic end for our city's most notorious Supervillain?"

I chuckle lightly, goosebumps and hairs rising as I hear his footsteps come closer.

"Not yet but I'll let you know when I do. I have a theory thought, therapists and anti-depressants are the real heroes of this city. The only need for SuperHeroes such as yourself is because of the existence of fold like me. Oh what will you do without me?"

He sighs whilst I tilt my head around a little to look at him.

"What are you doing here? Jokes aside."

I hesitate, oh what the heck, I tell myself, give him a little tease and get the hell out of here.

"I'm here because I wanted to see you."

But he's a smart cookie.

"And the truth please?"

"Why? I kind of expected you to arrest me as soon as you saw where I am."

"You look a little down tonight."

I start laughing, fully spinning around and laughing. Not the mocking way, I mean full on knee-slapping, tear-streaming laughing.

"If I knew you were trying to play therapist, I would of left as soon as you arrived "

"I'm being serious."

"Okay okay, I'll humour you. I'm here because life is a bitch and then you die." My eyes trail over his body, his spandex covered body. His eyebrows raise a little underneath his mask at my response as he does the same to me. Shame my suit isn't the same material as his otherwise he'll be gaining as much if an eyeful as I am. Hot damn.

Is it bad that I'm seriously attracted to my enemy?

My clothing is pretty tight if I'm being honest. Okay, it's like a second skin but it keeps me streamlined. It's gorgeous. The black material of my jumpsuit seems to fade and blend in with the night as well as being a material that I can manipulate with my powers, my black cape fans behind me like those stupid action movies I remember Riley fangirling over, not to mention my mask that almost seems to work as a being of its own. Whenever I'm in battle or my face needs protecting, it moves on its own to protect me, and remains unbreakable. All finished off with a gorgeous pair of combat fingerless gloves. Yes there is a bracelet around my left wrist. 

Capes are only useful to those who know how to use one. Otherwise you're just plain stupid for choosing to have one.

"NightShade." I run my tongue along my bottom lip, wetting it, watching as he watches me, noting how his hands clench into fists. "I can practically see the drool coming out of your mouth. Don't worry," I wink at him playfully seductive, "I'm all yours handsome."

I don't need to use my powers to know that he's blushing. And a good reason too, with my ridiculously stunning looks and stop dead gorgeous fashion sense, who wouldn't? Like I always say; how can I possibly terrorise a city if not in style?

Notorious indeed. I know what is whispered here in my home. People fear me. And yet are seduced by my image. By the idea of who I am. The magazines prove it.

I'm a national antihero and the man in front of me is my exact counterpart.

We dance in circles around each other around the city. I mean, usually it's the girls that do the chasing am I right?

Then again, I'm all for breaking stereotypes.

Him, NightShade.

And me?

I am Ophelia.

After all, it takes two to tango and I'm a great dancer.

I blow him a kiss, grin at him before diving head first off the ledge of the building.