7 | You've Been Hit By A Smooth Criminal

BY THE TIME Addison and I make it to Ethan's house, it was nearing nine thirty

We find a spot to park her mom's car amongst the rest of the cars scattered in the field out front of an old wooden barn, and made our way towards the lights and voices. There's music playing from somebody's truck, cranked up loud enough that everybody in the general vicinity can hear it.

I don't recognize half of the people we see milling about, but then again, I've chosen not to be very social in my first week here.

Most everyone is dressed in variations of sweaters and jeans, which makes Addison and I stand out quite obviously with her in her vintage dress and me in my leather skirt. We catch the odd glance from people we pass by, and I hear exactly two people whistle at us.

"So what was Eliza up to tonight that she couldn't join us?" I ask Addison as we wander over to a bonfire somebody had set up in the middle of the field.

"I think her and Morgan had a date or something tonight. Or at least, that's the excuse she gave me," Addison shrugs, letting out a little laugh. "She's more antisocial than I am."

"Well, at least we're making progress. I mean, you made it here, right? That's a step in the right direction."

"True. And as long as you don't expect me to speak to anyone, I'll be all good."

I roll my eyes, bumping into her with my shoulder. "Ha, ha. Very funny. You're going to talk to at least two people tonight. Even if it kills you."

"So, it was Ethan that asked you to this thing, right?" She asks, completely diverting the subject away from anything social.

"Yup," I reply, the word coming off my lips with a pop. "What's his story?"

"Ethan Sampson, Hunter Maddox's best friend who essentially acts as his good conscience. Born and raised here in Rock Valley," she rhymes off. "He's a nice enough guy, despite his questionable choice in friends. He's a serial dater. He doesn't cheat, at least not that I've heard, and he's not an asshole."

I shoot her a humorous smile. "You know, for someone who doesn't like everyone, you certainly know a lot about them."

Addy shoots me a momentary glare. "I never said I don't like them. I said they don't like me," she clarifies. "Some of them I don't mind."

"Then those are the some you should talk to tonight!"

"Tell you what," she smiles mischievously, we eyes trained on something over my shoulder. "I'll socialize if you talk to Ethan."

"Addy, there's so many people here. I highly doubt I'll even see—"

"Peyton! You made it!"