25 | Empire State of Mind

WAKING UP IN our hotel room in New York is like waking up an alternate universe

WAKING UP IN our hotel room in New York is like waking up an alternate universe. Or maybe like waking up after being transported back in time.

The sun streams in through the massive windows, as does the sound of Saturday morning traffic twenty-three stories below. With a groan, I roll over and bury my head under the fluffy pillows.

My eyes have just started to flutter shut again when the door to our room flies open and three gigantically annoying teenage boys barge right in, music blaring on somebody's phone. I groan louder, bury my head further under my pillow, but the mattress dips as someone else jumps on it— and me.

"Good morning, gorgeous," an irritating voice sing-songs. Cameron.

I let out a string of curses, wrapping a hand in my pillowcase and wrenching my arm up in order to hit Cameron's annoyingly smiling face with it. He ducks, grinning bigger.

I glower. Its too early for this. "Get off of me, you oaf." I shove him, and he topples over laughing.

Another body falls onto the bed on my other side, arm slinging over my waist. I don't shy away from this particular touch, but I still turn an accusing glare on Hunter.

"Thanks for the help," I say dryly.

Hunter only kisses my hair and chuckles. "I know you can handle yourself, babe. Besides, Cam could use to be knocked on his ass."

On the other side of the room, Ethan is perched on the edge of Addison's queen sized bed, the girl in question propped up against the headboard. She has the sheets pulled up almost to her neck, leaving only her blonde bed head and rosy cheeks visible.

I heave a heavy sigh, blowing a lock of hair out of my eyes that had escaped the messy bun on top of my head. "You guys good to feed yourselves this morning?"

"I think we'll manage," Ethan assures me.

Addison adds in a small voice, "What time do you think you'll back?"

"As soon as humanly possible," I grumble. The last thing I want is to spend more time than necessary with my cheating father and his lying, betraying girlfriend.