Chapter 8 - I'm in Love and It's a Sunny Day

On Sunday morning, like most mornings, Marisol awoke to the sound of her baby chattering to herself in her cot. The air in the bedroom was chilly, and she wondered if they'd left a window open somewhere. Paul was snuggled against her back, one arm heavy across her breasts. It was tempting to stay where she was, enjoying his warmth, but her brain had already started listing all the things she could get done before he woke up and wanted her attention, so she slipped out from under his arm and swung her legs out of bed.

The floor was cold so she grabbed a pair of socks along with the navy kimono Paul had brought her from Japan. Cookie was at the door, her back end wiggling, excited to see Marisol and probably glad her shift was over. Cookie was a herding dog and wanted a job to do, and since they'd been in England she'd decided her job was to watch the baby sleep. In the mornings Melody would wake up and see the dog and they'd have twenty minutes or so of one-sided conversation before she realized she was wet and hungry and wanted out of her cot. If the baby got impatient enough and a parent hadn't appeared yet, Cookie would appear at their bedroom door and whine.

Melody was standing up, holding onto the rails of her cot. She made an excited gurgle when she saw Marisol. "Ow ow ow!" she demanded.

"Out?" Marisol clarified.

"Ow!" Melody reached up and Marisol lifted her warm baby, cuddling her close. Mornings had become her favorite time of day. Quiet time with her baby and later on snuggling with her fiancé. Life was good.

She grabbed a hand mirror from the bathroom on the way downstairs and handed it to Melody when they reached the sofa. Melody examined herself intently while Marisol changed her diaper.

"See Melody?"

"Mem mee," the baby responded, her voice a little husky with sleep.

"Melody is a very clever girl who's going to grow up to make the world a better place and do loads of volunteer work and be kind to animals. And be happy," she added as an afterthought.

"Memmie nah nah nah an anah," Melody said.

"Is that what it sounds like I'm saying?" She finished the diapering and gave Melody's bottom a pat. The dogs were clicking around the room, ready to be fed and let outside. On days when the weather cooperated, Marisol would make tea and toast and slice some fruit and she and the baby would have breakfast outside while the dogs sniffed around the garden. It was chilly today so they ate at the kitchen table with the door ajar so they could watch the dogs.

"Skuh!" Melody said, pointing out the door.

"Squirrel," Marisol said. "Say squirrel. The American way. Your daddy can't say it right."

"Dada," Melody said.

"Mmm hmm. Daddy is English, and he says some words funny. Like squirrel." She refilled Melody's juice. "Daddy will say the English invented the language and the Americans desecrated it. We don't pay any mind to that nonsense."

This was how their morning conversations went. Marisol would drone on and on about whatever took her fancy and Melody would listen, now and then repeating a word that she recognized, her favorite of which was daddy.

"Dada," Melody said, with an angelic smile. She pointed at the kitchen doorway. "Dada!"

"Yes, I know, Dada is wonderful. Let's let him sleep a little longer so he won't be grouchy." Marisol took a sip of tea. "Daddy had a late night," she whispered as if imparting a secret.

Melody leaned forward, showing undisguised interest. If you want to get someone's attention, don't shout— whisper, Marisol thought. It even works with babies.