Chapter 23 - Like a Song of Love that Clings to Me

A/N: Thanks to the brilliant and talented Paul McCartney for inspiring the music for the bride and groom's first dance and the setlist for the wedding reception! The above YouTube video is from a long-lost recording that Paul made as a Christmas gift for the other Beatles in 1965. It existed for 50 years in bootlegs but reappeared for the masses this past December. Only four copies were known to be made, with Paul as DJ on "Radio Pauline" (shoutout to Radio Caroline) for the "St. Paul's School Dance" - and rocking that American accent! 

TRACKLIST:

0:39  "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole

3:48  "Someone Ain't Right" by Peter & Gordon

6:29  "I Get Around" by The Beach Boys

8:50  "Heat Wave" by Martha and the Vandellas

11:57  "Don't Be Cruel" by Elvis Presley

14:19  "Down Home Girl" by The Rolling Stones

The new Mr. and Mrs. McCartney stepped out of the barn to the sound of cheering and applause.

"You did it!" Angela said in Marisol's ear, hugging her tight.

Holy shit, she's right, Marisol realized. I'm married.

"Congratulations!" Mike exclaimed, beaming. He gave her a brotherly peck on the cheek. "Marisol, my love, welcome to the family."

Margo's arms squeezed her, then Donna's and her cousin Judith's and more cousins and aunts and uncles that she hadn't seen in years. She felt her father's hands on her face and his giant smooch on her cheek. Mal buzzed around like an oversized dragonfly, his camera recording every hug and kiss.

Mrs. Hemingway reached over and adjusted the flowers atop Marisol's hair. "Well done, darling," she murmured, which left Marisol wondering what it was her mother thought she'd done well. Marrying a millionaire Beatle? Not fluffing her lines in the ceremony? Having a good hair day?

Her mother turned away and raised her voice above the happy chattering. "Wedding party onto the hay wagon! Off we go!"

Paul's smooth, warm hand wrapped around Marisol's bare arm. He pulled her with him through the damp grass and lifted her onto the wagon. The sun warmed her shoulders as they waited for the rest of the group to join them. Paul draped his arm around her and pulled her close. She let her hand rest on the inside of his thigh, just above his knee.

"Are you quite sure this marriage is legal?" he asked, his knee jiggling up and down.

"Of course it is, why would you ask that?"

"Did Father Gomez leave out any important parts? It seemed a bit cock-eyed, after he lost the plot at the end there." He scratched his jaw. "Is he even a priest?"

Marisol laughed and patted his leg. "Of course he's a priest, silly."

"Right. Go on and laugh. It's only holy matrimony."

"We're quite married. In the eyes of God and California. That's what he said, before he disappeared, after the thing with the bat."

Paul started to reply, then leapt to his feet to help Grandma Hadley onto the wagon.

With everyone squeezed together on bright red and gold cushions, the tractor chugged to life, towing the wedding party down the hill to the winery.

Paul turned to Marcus. "What the hell was the deal with the priest?"