Waking Up

"...And what do you suppose we do?" Robin vaguely recognized the voice of a young man, his tone calm and deep.

"I don't know, something... I mean, we can't just leave him facedown in the dirt, right?" The next voice was different, and younger. Most likely a girl.

By this point, Robin could feel his eyes begin to open and sensation return to his limbs. He rolled over with a groan and beheld his rescuers.

The first thing Robin noticed was the man's shock of deep blue hair. His eyes were the same, compassion and steel shining in cerulean pools, the eyes of a leader. There was a girl hovering near him too. Two golden blond pigtails framed the side of her head, adorned with an auric headband and a bonnet. Her eyes were light blue, sparked with curiosity as she gazed at his groggy form.

The two ceased talking after hearing his groan and, seeing the man wake up, went to greet him.

"Hey there stranger!" Greeted the girl, voice subdued. "What you doin' there, huh?"

"There are better places to sleep than on the ground. You know that, right? "Asked the man as he reached down to help Robin to his feet.

"Yes there are, but thank you, Chrom." The name came unbidden to Robin's lips, an easy reflex.

"Ah, then you know who I am?" Chrom asked Robin, nonplussed by Robin's knowledge.

"Well, no, not really... I'm sorry, but can you tell me where I am? I can't seem to remember." Robin scratched his head as he glanced around.

"Ha, you claim to know who my lord is yet not know where you are? Someone pay this actor; he plays quite the fool." This quip came from a man that Robin had not yet seen. When he turned to look, he quailed.

Easily a foot taller than him, the man had wavy brown hair and a stoic face, the look of a consummate professional. Adding to his stern demeanor was heavy riding army, which encased everything short of his legs and face. He cut an imposing figure.

Now that Robin had his wits about him, he noticed they were all dressed for war. Chrom wore a lightly armored suit of chainmail underneath a blue shirt and pants, the metal clinking as he moved. A cloth and elaborate shoulder guard covered his right shoulder and a white cape was slung over his back. Chrom watched Robin look around, his palm on the hilt of an ornate longsword sheathed at his belt.

The blonde girl wore a more modest set. It was mostly cloth with thick leather crossing her torso and a large metal-banded skirt about her legs. Robin found it peculiar, the idea of wearing such bright yellow to a fight.

"I assure you, Sir, that I truly mean that I have no idea where I am. I have no idea how I got here nor any memory before this moment. The only thing I know is my name, Robin." Robin answered the knight's question and introduced himself.

"Oh! I heard of that before, it's called amnesia!" The girl exclaimed. Robin filed away the information in case he needed to name his condition later.

"It's called a load of wyvern dung, Lady Lissa, and I'd prefer if you didn't stand so close to this... Robin," the knight replied, giving Robin an icy glare.

Robin's hands shot up. "Believe me, Sir Knight, if I knew who I was and what I was doing before you found me I would tell you everything! But... I honestly cannot remember."

"Enough, Frederick!" Chrom barked at the knight, "What if he is who he says? We can't just leave him here. What sort of Shepherds would we be if we abandoned those in need?"

"Just the same, milord. I simply must recommend the appropriate level of caution." Frederick turned to Robin, "I have every want to trust you stranger, but times have been dangerous of late and at least one of us must be cautious." He nodded towards an armored horse bearing a lance. The deadly blade gleamed in the sun.