Chapter 9

This was not how either of them had planned to spend their Sunday afternoon, but here they were, standing outside the event venue in Scottsdale. Ben walked to the door and pulled it open, holding it open for Ariana. She muttered a quick thank you and entered.

He followed and let out a breath. "Well, it seems nice so far."

Ariana nodded. "Cristina will like the way it looks outside."

They walked up to the reception desk where a woman and an older man sat. "Hello," Ben greeted. "I called earlier about possibly reserving a room."

Both the woman and the man looked up.

"That's right. Is this about a wedding reception?" The woman responded.

"Yes, for December 31st. A new year reception," Ariana chimed in.

The woman clapped her hands together. "Yes. How romantic." She walked around the desk, picking up papers and brochures. "We have one main room that is still available to use. We don't have a reservation for that day yet. I'm Elyse, by the way."

She motioned Ariana and Ben to the side of the lobby. "This is the main reception area for the guests. We'll point them to this room where you can set up a guest table for gifts or a guest book. One pair of newlyweds had set up a camera and asked their guests to leave them video messages."

"That sounds sweet." Ariana looked around the room, noting the dark hardwood floor and wooden walls.

There were two doors on the far side.

Ariana pointed at the doors. "Are those restrooms?"

"Yes. Multiple stalls."

Elyse led Ariana and Ben to the main venue hall. It was a large wooden barn. The walls and foundation were intact. Ariana walked ahead with Elyse and listened attentively. Ben followed silently.

"The venue staff can organize the tables with the caterer or if it's an open bar and buffet we can set up the table however you'd like. There's enough room to seat 250 guests comfortably. How many expected guests?"

Ariana jumbled for the paper her sister jammed into her hand at the last minute. "Around 100. 120 tops."

"Oh, that's perfect then."

Ariana looked around the barn. It was a little dark, with the windows lined up high on either side. The reception would be taking place late at night anyway so the darkness wouldn't be a problem, hopefully.

"How long have you been engaged?" Elyse looked happily between Ariana and Ben, who had bumped into Ariana.

Ariana blinked rapidly. "Wait, what?"

Elyse crossed her hands over her clipboard. "How long have you been engaged for? I love love stories. It's one of the reasons why I'm in this business."

"Oh." Ariana's eyes widened. "Uh, no we're-"

"A few months," Ben answered, his eyes roving around the building.

Ariana looked over her shoulder and glared at him. "Is there an outside area that could be used during the reception?" Ariana asked, trying to steer Elyse away from troublesome thoughts. She walked away from Ben.

Ben laughed quietly to himself. He continued to look around the barn. Sure, the barn was outfitted for events, but he couldn't help wondering why Cristina and Marco wanted to get married in a barn, of all places.

He saw Ariana and Elyse step outside. He followed and found them talking and staring off into the desert. Ariana caught his eye.

"Suzuki, come look at this view."