Chapter 20

Once Ben saw the light to Ariana's classroom turn on, he stepped out of his own room and headed across the hall. He opened the door and found Ariana at her desk.

"Hey," she said softly.

"Morning. How did you get to work?" He let the door shut behind him.

She let out a tired sigh. "I took the bus. I had to wake up an hour earlier," she whined. She slid her coat off and dropped it over the back of her chair.

"The bus, really?"

She grabbed a paper from her desk and walked over to the whiteboard. "Yeah, well, I didn't want to ask my family for a ride. It would've been weird. Hopefully, I get a call from the mechanic today." She picked up a marker and began writing on the board.

"If you get a call, let me know." He moved to the door.

"Why?"

"So I can drive you."

She tilted her head to the side. "Hey, just because we had a heart-to-heart yesterday, doesn't mean you have to do this."

"I know. I just want to."

"You don't have to," she paused. "Okay. I'll let you know." She turned her attention back to the board. "I, uh, wanted to thank you for yesterday."

He licked his lips. "You don't have to thank me, but you're welcome."

She capped the marker. "Did you read more from your new book?"

"I read through his poems. I wanted to see if I should add any to the poetry unit we're going to start next week."

"Oh, poetry."

"Yeah. It's my favorite unit to do."

She leaned against a desk. "Really? Do you have a favorite poet?"

"Maya Angelou, of course."

She scoffed lightly and smiled. "Of course. Is there anyone else?

He shifted on his feet. "Emily Dickinson. Lee Herrick. Cathy Park Hong."

"Can you pick out a favorite poem?"

He sighed, looking at her in exasperation. "That's impossible, it's like picking out a favorite book."

"Oh yeah? My favorite book is The House on Mango Street, I didn't understand some of it at first, but it's my favorite." She turned her head to the side knowingly. "Wait a second." She grimaced, leaning forward, her hands settling on her knees.

"You just remembered another one, didn't you?"

"Yes. Damn. That's two. Alright, how about you tell me two of your favorite poems."

"Why?"

She shrugged.

"All the Aphrodisiacs by Cathy Park Hong." He caught her eye. "It's not what you think."

She grinned. "I think it is, though."

He ignored her quip. "And Maya Angelou's Still I Rise. I start off with that poem with my students too. Angelou was so incredible, with her words, the imagery, and the way she recited her poems. It gives the kids a sense of freedom and I think ownership with their feelings and their words."

All she could do was nod, startled by the brightness in his eyes.

# # #

Ariana sat down across from Andrew and Nick. They were discussing their plans for Thanksgiving, while Ariana listened in and scrolled through Pinterest on her phone.