Chapter 25

Ariana sat in a couch beside Daniela finishing her niece's hair. Daniela held her flower girl basket in her lap, playing with the petals.

"Can I be the flower girl at your wedding, tia?"

"Of course, muñeca." She put the last pin in place. "All done." She stood from the couch and walked over to Liliana and Abigail who were hovering over Cristina.

Liliana was giggling and taking photos with her phone.

"Abigail, don't wave the curling iron around," Cristina warned.

"Has anyone seen the photographer?" Abigail tried to look out the window.

"I can go ask around," Ariana suggested.

"Please, Ariana. Will you check on Santiago too? I want to make sure he's dressed and ready to go too," Cristina said.

Ariana slipped out of the room and walked through the church lobby.

The groomsmen and her dad were guiding people to their seats within the church.

Jonathan's eyes caught her first. "Ari, you look beautiful." He reached for her and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you. You all look great." She held a hand against his dark tux, her eyes falling on the boutonniere. "Oh, my handiwork."

"And I'll cherish it forever."

She rolled her eyes. "Have you seen Santi or the photographer?"

"Santi is sitting with his abuelito. Not your dad, Marco's grandpa. And the photographer is already set up inside the main room."

"Great and-"

"Ariana?"

She looked over her shoulder. Ben stood before in a fitted tux and styled hair.

He had a frown on his face. "Your mom is looking for you."

Her mood dropped. "Where is she?"

"Outside on the bench under the tree."

# # #

She sat down beside her mom. Family and friends continued to pour into the church. "Benjamin said you were looking for me."

Alicia nodded. She finally turned to look at her. "Te ves hermosa, Ariana."

"Thank you." She sighed. She'd hardly spoken to her mom this past month, despite living under the same roof. She can't imagine what her mom wanted to say and she couldn't imagine what she'd say herself.

Alicia let out a tired breath and looked over her daughter once more before glancing at the church and their guests. "I've been thinking a lot, especially today. My oldest daughter is getting married and I wondered what yours would look like. Who you would be marrying, where, when."

She turned, knocking her knees against Ariana. "I said some terrible things, Ariana. I've been hard on you and I don't need to be."

"Ma."

"Tu papa, one night, we were laying in bed, awake. Stressing like always. But he said, 'you called your daughter a slut and a screw-up. Did you really mean that?'" Alicia sniffled. "'I don't care who she sleeps with,' he said, 'but I didn't raise no damn screw up.'"

Ariana's breath hitched.

Alicia held a hand against Ariana's cheek. "He's right. He didn't raise a screw-up and neither did I." She snorted. "You try and you try and sometimes you fail, but that doesn't make you a screw-up. It makes you a determined person, it makes you strong. Aye, mija. I forgot that and I'm so sorry."