Not so Friendly Anymore

There was a beat, in which the two just stared at each other with wide eyes. Suddenly, both slapped their hands to their mouths, but for completely different reasons.

Plagg was doing everything in his power to hold his laughter in, while Adrien's eyes had grown to the size of dinner plates, mortified.

"Don't—"

"BWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Adrien whined and covered his whole face with his hands. As Plagg's laughter became louder, the boy let himself fall headfirst on the floor.

"I knew—PWAHAHA!" Plagg heaved. "I knew you couldn't deny it forever!"

The blond let out a muffled 'shut up,' while Plagg laughed even harder.

"Oooh no, she's just a friend," the kwami mocked. "Friend my butt. Didn't believe that even if you were dancing around naked professing your love for Ladybug."

At last, Adrien removed one of his hands to give Plagg a bewildered look at the image the little god created. But he didn't seem to care, as he continued cackling. A strong annoyance suddenly rose within the boy, that wanted to shut the damn cat up. So, in a rash move, he grabbed Plagg by his small body, making him let out a strangled yelp, and brought him close to his face.

"This is not funny!" he almost shouted.

"You're squeezing me," the kwami wheezed.

"Plagg!"

"It's very funny!"

"I can't have feelings for two girls at once."

There was a pause.

"Yes you can," Plagg finally said. Adrien gave him a look of warning, so the kwami continued. "Look, it happens. You can't always control your heart, but you can control what you do about those feelings. That doesn't make you a bad person."

Adrien stared at the cat-being, until deciding to let go and sulk on the floor again. Meanwhile, Plagg gingerly took a seat at the edge of the coffee table.

"How did this happen? When did this happen?" the boy whispered.

"I think that if you use your brain, you'll find the answers to your questions," Plagg responded in a matter-of-factly tone.

While Adrien was annoyed by Plagg's attitude, he took him up on the advice. He turned his back to the floor and started thinking.

It was clear that those feelings had been developing for a while. The question was when and how. And why.

He knew he'd had feelings since before today, otherwise he wouldn't had gotten jealous of Félix.

No use in denying it now, he internally sighed.

Definitely before giving Marinette the spray bottle. He remembered feeling comforted by the smell of her hair when they hugged.

Before Damage Control, because he felt he betrayed Marinette for having close contact with Ladybug.

Before Chatte Noire, because he defended her honor against Charlene.

Before the interview with Nadja Chamack, because he told the world Marinette's heart belonged to Adrien.

Before...

The letter.

Adrien bolted up into a sitting position.

That can't be right, can it?

Despite the disappointment he had felt when he found out the heart-shaped letter hadn't been from Ladybug, he had also been beyond flattered for what Marinette had said about him. And that the letter belonged to her.