Chapter 2

My lonely day started ahead. Or not so lonely.

I open my front door and look directly at Don. My ex-husband.

"Don? Come on in." I stood out of the way letting him come in.

"I just came by to see how things are going." He started a conversation looking around in the house.

"Probably okay." I replied walking into the kitchen with him behind me.

He better not be checking out my butt! Of course he is. I just happen to see it in our reflection.

"Take a seat."

I switch on the kettle and turn around looking at him. Please don't look in his eyes.

"How are you really?" He asked serious.

"Healing." I replied and take out two cups to make him the coffee he use to like. "And you?"

"Trying to get over it." Don replied probably watching every move I make.

"Do you...ever wonder what it would have looked like?" I asked out of the blue avoiding eye contact. I'm still shattered by the miscarriage. It was unexpected and...devastating.

"Very much." He replied.

I stop doing what I do and decide to turn around and look at him.

"What are you doing on Christmas?" I had to ask. Maybe I could try to be better to him. He deserves better though.

"Probably gonna be...home." He replied sure about his facts. Little tears forming in his eyes and a sad expression on his face.

"Well, I'm gonna invite the children over so I thought maybe if you'd like to, you can come over and we can spend Christmas like we use to do." I said awkwardly and take a deep breath with a shiver running out of my mouth.

"That would be nice." He smiled and look down. He look back up at me a bit concerned. "Which parts does it include."

"Oh my god." I started to giggle. For the first time after the divorce, I'm actually laughing with the love of my...with my ex-husband. "Not that far."

"I wouldn't have mind." He chuckle looking down to avoid eye contact. "Like in that movie of yours, It's complicated."

"Are you actually considering a affair with me Mr.Gummer?" I asked a bit caught off guard. I had to know.

"Actually I do Mrs.Gummer." He replied and stood up walking towards me. I look away from him to avoid eye contact. He came infront of me. I feel his heat. I feel his breath falling on my front head. "Why can't you look at me Meryl? Why?"

I look at him and burst down crying. I couldn't stop it from happening.

"When I see your face, it kills me." I cried. Not like the actress everyone knows. The women Don knows.

"It's all my fault." He whispered and rub his hand over his face. "I shouldn't have gotten you pregnant."

"This isn't anyone's fault Don." I cried giving him a serious look.

"Then why do I feel like I'm being punished for it." He dared to ask. I look away placing my hands on the kitchen counter behind me. "Meryl, it was fifteen years ago. Didn't our marriage mean anything to you?"

"How dare you?" I asked angrily. I had all rights to be angry. Loosing a child isn't the type of experience any women would want. "We lost a child and now you're asking me whether our marriage meant anything."

"I just want an honest answer." He replied trying to make me understand.

"Then make it a better question!" I fought back at him and turn around in frustration.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to hurt you. I'll see you again."

I look behind me at Don that turned away and walked out of the house. Just like that!

I wish he could stay. But no. The longer he stays, the more my heart dies.

It's nice and comfortable where I lay in my bed. Already taken a shower.

Bling!

I took my phone and went online.

Henry: Dad, did I leave my wallet at your place
Don: No
Louisa: You left it at mine
Henry: Great I'll fetch it tomorrow
Louisa: 👍

I gave a sighed. Should I apologise? What should I do?

Mammie: So dad, how was today's visit to mom? She's kinda quiet.
Don: Was great.
Grace: Did you two fight again?

I take a deep breath and decide to maybe manage to change the topic.

Me: Hey everyone! What's up?
Don: The sky. Just joking. I'm still trying to figure out how to use imogi

I gave a simple giggle shaking my head from side to side.

Me: Haha, it's Emoji. I'll show you tomorrow if you want to come by.

He must be surprised. I don't see him typing though. Does he have other plans then? Is he...seeing someone else?

Don: Sure. How are you feeling?
Me: I'm okay. Just came out a hot shower 😊
Don: That's nice.

I gave the phone a little smile not knowing how to reply.

Bling!

A message from him on his personal chat with me.

Don: You know, I miss that shower.
Me: I know.

I went out of the chat and at the group. I have to reply else they'll know I'm having a private conversation with Don.

Me: So why is everyone so quiet all of a sudden?

Bling!*

I got to our private conversation and give a little smile.

Don: I remember our first night together in that shower. Was quit an experience.
Me: I agree. We did had a lot of experiences though.
Don: Totally. Are you tyred?

I take a deep breath in and tuck deeper into my lonely bed.

Me: sort of. How about you?
Don: same. Can I video call you? Henry taught me.
Me: sure

I give a smile and within seconds he video called me. I answer it and look directly at his face on the screen.

"Hey." He greeted me.

I keep my mouth shut for a while. I can't force a smile at all. All caused by only a tear rolling down my cheek.

"Heyyy." I greeted back and sit up straight.

"Are you working tomorrow?" He asked prudently.

"Yes. If you come by at work..." I started and look down into my shirt at what caught my eyes which was nothing then back at him on the phone. "...I'll show you how to use Emoji."

"What's in you shirt?" He asked for interest.

"I don't know." I replied and look down again.

"Use the phone's light to shine in. Maybe you'll find it."

I give the phone an odd look.

"Don Gummer you nasty old man." I said shocked by what he just tried to make me do.

He gave me that vicious chuckle and run his hand over his face.

"I don't want to keep you awake. I'll see you tomorrow." He said calming down again. I could see that he still lays in his bed. All alone.

"Okay. Good night." I smiled about to hang up.

"Love yo...sorry. Sweet dreams."

I couldn't help it but just stare at him. Was he really going to say that? Or is he just use to saying that.

"You know, with this little while you're staring at me, we would've kissed." He smiled raising an eyebrow.

"Goodnight Don." I said and hang up the phone.