aspen pov

dedication to WeThePeople for the super cute banner to the side!

(AUTHORS NOTE AT END)

••

aspen.

i'd finally succeeded in avoiding lane.

it was the end of the day, and it was monday.

i had picked up his letter this morning, and i was so angry.

he can't say he's in the love with me.
he's not allowed to do that.
he can't keep playing with my heart.

he can be with nicolia.
i can be with oscar.

okay, that was a lie.
i can't be with oscar, considering i broke up with him last night.

lane was controlling my every thought, and i could do nothing about it.

i rushed out of art, making sure i wouldn't pass by lane's truck.

"aspen."

i hadn't been paying attention and the sound of my name brought my face up quickly.

when i saw who said it, my eyes narrowed into slits.

this isn't fair.
he needs to let me be, and go on and make some other girl the happiest, luckiest one alive.

i didn't deserve him, he was too good.
he didn't deserve me, i was like poison.

"get away from me lane."
the hostility i was able to obtain in my voice surprised me.
his eyes turned wide and i could tell he was holding in a laugh, with one glance at my face.
annoyance pulsed through me.

"you can't tell me what to do sweetheart," he drawled, his fucking perfect lips curling into the smirk i love-hate, so much.

the way his sweet voice circled around my abdoman, gripping my stomach, scared the hell out of me. his voice hummed and i could just imagine how his chest would vibrate against my ear if i was pressed to him.

"don't fucking call me that lane warner. you have no right." and he didn't. he'd hurt and rejected me more than enough times, and we were no good for each other.

"like hell i don't," he snarled and the way anger was steaming around him, reminded me of my father. the way my dad could get mad at the toss of a coin.

lane's not your dad.

"sorry," he said quickly, sensing my fright. i felt heat swarming to my cheeks and my heart swell.

"you never say sorry." i was talking mostly to myself, but i assumed lane must've heard, considering his anwer.

"i'd say sorry to you a million times if it meant you forgive me."

my breathe caught in my damn throat.

no one's ever said something like that to me, ever.

his eyes had truth swirling through him.

"i really don't thi-" and his lips were pressed against mine. my mouth automatically formed against his and worked in soft contemporized movements.

i felt him ready to go further, reminding me just where i was. i quickly pushed at his chest.

i heard a growl bubble out of his mouth.

"fuck, aspen." i almost choke on the very air i'm breathing. my name. my name, directly to me. to my face, and he wasn't intoxicated.

i mean, he may have called to me, but i wasn't even aware it was him, and my mind was far too distracted.

this was confirmation. he knew it was me.