Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Alexa

“She’s been through too much,” said my mother shaking her head.

I shifted my weight and uncrossed my arms. “Yeah, but Mom, she needs to talk to him at some point.”

“You saw what happened last time. She had a panic attack. They had to sedate her.”

I walked over and wrapped my arms around my mother’s fragile body. I felt her sigh and melt into my arms. Stupid Abriana! Look how much pain you’ve caused our mother! The sooner you’re gone, the better!

 “Maybe she just needs a little bit more time…” whispered my mother, trailing off as tears fell from her eyes.

“Maybe,” I said nodding in agreement. “But, what if that time never comes? What if she can never handle facing what happened to her?”

Unable to respond, my mother sobbed loudly.

Rubbing her back, I caught my reflection in the hospital bathroom mirror. My hair looked greasy and I had dark circles under my eyes. Ugh! I better get cleaned up before Matías comes to visit her today. He had tried to visit her last night, but the doctor turned him away because of her meltdown. Of course Abriana would find a way to ruin our time together! Brat! I let out a loud sigh. Soon, she’ll just be a distant memory. The only Vega girl Matías will be interested in seeing is me!

Interrupting my thoughts, my mother pulled out of my embrace and took a step back. “My life would stop without you two in it.”

No, it won’t! You’ll be much better off without Abriana. Just wait and see…

Pushing the satisfying thoughts to the back of my head, I forced a sweet smile on my face. “I love you, Mom.”

“I love you too, Alexa.”

***

After stopping home for a few hours to clean up, I made my way back to the hospital. Maybe a little treat for myself first? I thought as I pulled into Target’s massive parking lot.

As I strolled through the store, I stopped and looked at a black maxi dress. Perhaps I could wear this to Abriana’s funeral? A smile crossed my face as the thought of her casket being lowered into the ground played on repeat.

I kept walking. Hmmm… What to wear today? Ooh, those are cute! I thought looking at a rack of tank tops. Yes, with these chinos!

After slipping into the dressing room, I tried on a dark grey tank top with white print and navy shorts. Yeah, I’m definitely buying these!

Before leaving, I picked up some waterproof mascara. There, even if I force the tears, I’ll still look good.

I paid and made it out to my car. Without hesitation, I slid out of my yoga pants and into the shorts. I grabbed the tank top and pulled the tags off and threw them on the floor. I pulled it over my head and tossed the t-shirt I had been wearing on the passenger’s seat.

Last but not least, I thought as I applied two layers of mascara.

A smile crossed my face as I pulled out on to the highway. Watch out, Matías! You’re not going to be able to resist me for much longer!

***

It took awhile, but I finally convinced my parents that they could go home and rest. More alone time with Matías, I thought to myself with a smile.

I sat in the wooden chair next to Abriana’s bed and watched her sleep. If it wasn’t for those alarms, I could have killed her last night. Ugh… Technology!

Looking up, I watched as her chest rose and fell. The rhythm sent me into a daze.

“Lex?” came a familiar voice.

Spinning around, I plastered a distressed look on my face and blinked back fake tears. “Hey, Mat.”

He pulled me into his arms and squeezed me tightly.

Yes!

“I’m so glad they found her,” he whispered.

I could feel his hot tears hit my bare shoulder.

“Me too,” I lied.

I stuck out my lower lip as he pulled away.

“Has she been sleeping all day?” he asked.

Nodding, I drank in his features. Those long eyelashes, dark brown eyes, and strong cheekbones… Sigh… To die for! I forced the smile that tried to surface back down.

“Do you mind if I have some time alone with her?”

WHAT?

“Excuse me?” I asked in disbelief.

“I’d like to sit with Abriana for awhile, alone,” he said.

“Oh, um, o- o- okay,” I stammered.

“I mean, if that’s okay with you?” he asked. “I know it must be hard to let her out of your sight, even if it’s only for a few minutes.”

“No, I mean yeah. It’s fine,” I said in a shaky voice.

“Thanks, Lex,” he said with a sad smile.

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly through my nose. That’s fine, Matías. She isn’t going to be around for much longer… So take your time and say goodbye.

Standing up, I made my way toward the door. “Just text me when you’re getting ready to leave. I don’t want Bri to be left alone, at all.”

“Will do,” he said as he turned away from me and pulled a chair next to Abriana’s hospital bed.

Alright… Now it’s time to figure out a way to kill Easton. I can’t have that man spilling any of my secrets!

-------------------

*Don't forget to stop by and visit me on Twitter! @KellyAnneBlount

*Pick up a copy of any of my books on Amazon or Barnes & Noble today!

http://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Blount/e/B00BSKKA5Q
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/kelly-anne-blount