Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Alexa

Trying to appear sincere, I continued to hug Abriana. “This is a good thing, Bri! Why are you crying?”

Pulling away from my embrace, my sister’s petite frame curled up into the fetal position and she began to rock back and forth.

“Mrs. Vega, perhaps filling that prescription now would be helpful,” suggested the doctor to my mother. “In the mean time, I’m going have one of the nurses administer a dose.”

Our mother’s complexion turned pale. “I can’t leave Abriana right now,” she said.

Rubbing Abriana’s back, I looked over at my mother and gave her an encouraging nod. “It’s okay, Mom. I’m here.”

A moment later, she nodded and scurried out of the room.

“Bri, it’s okay,” I said in a soothing voice. Don’t worry big sis, it will all be over soon. You’ll be six feet under and I’ll live happily ever after with Matías.

A nurse wearing light blue scrubs entered the room, interrupting my thoughts.

“Abriana, I have some medication that will help you calm down. I just need to give you a quick shot. Is that okay?”

She didn’t respond, instead she just kept rocking back and forth, back and forth.

The nurse walked over to the side of the bed and reached for Abriana’s shoulder. “I need you to be still for a moment.”

Instead of slowing down, Abriana’s body rocked even faster.

The nurse looked at me, her blue eyes full of concern. “I’m going to need to get some help. I’ll be right back.”

As she left the room, I cut my eyes at Abriana. Forever the victim, Abriana! Why do you always need SOOO many people to care and worry about you? Ugh!  

A few moments later, the nurse came back with two orderlies.

“Please hold her down while I give her the injection,” she instructed.

I stood up as a man and a woman walked up to the bed. I wish they would hold her down while I smother her with a pillow.

Watching Abriana fight against the orderlies sent shivers down my spine. I love seeing you suffer, I thought to myself with a smirk.

Once she had been pinned down, the nurse quickly jabbed the needle into her backside. A few seconds later, she stopped flailing and the orderlies released her body.

“What’s going on here?” asked a familiar voice, full of disbelief.

My heart soared. Matías! Quick! Bring out the waterworks!

Pretending to sniffle, I turned toward him and buried my face into his broad chest. “It’s all my fault,” I cried.

He stood with his hands at his sides. “What’s happening to Abriana?”

“I told her Easton was dying and she freaked out. She started rolling back and forth and wouldn’t stop!”

Stepping away and leaving me off balance, Matías rushed to Abriana’s side.

Stop trying to rescue someone who doesn’t love you, I thought to myself with disgust. Hmmmm… Maybe I should have faked my own kidnapping instead of this elaborate mess with Abriana? Ugh! I could have had Matías all to myself by now!

Cursing myself, I watched as Matías knelt next to Abriana’s hospital bed and gently picked up her hand. Bringing it to his lips, he brushed it with a light kiss and then held it against his cheek.