Characters

Sorata Kanda 

( is the male protagonist of the story. He is a second-year (later third year) student of Suiko, who lives in room 101 of Sakura Dormitory. He was kicked out of the regular dorms after he chose not to give up a stray cat he found. He cannot resist taking in stray cats, and he ends up keeping seven of them in his room. As many of the Sakura Dormitory residents have outstanding grades and art skills, he often feels plain and normal among them.)

 Mashiro Shiina  

(Mashiro is the female protagonist of the story. She is the resident of room 202, as well as a world famous artist who transferred into Suiko as a second-year to learn how to draw manga.)  

 Nanami Aoyama  

(Nanami is Sorata's classmate, who later moves into Sakura Dormitory's room 203. Although she is harsh to Sorata, she actually has a crush on him, and everyone aside from Sorata has noticed this)  

 Misaki Kamiigusa   

 (Misaki is the resident of room 201, a third-year-student of Suiko who later attends Suimei University of the Arts. She is very outgoing and optimistic and Sorata often refers to her as an "alien". She has very good grades and is very good at drawing, but the school decided to send her to Sakura Dormitory because she pays too much attention to drawing anime and manga.)  

Jin Mitaka  

(Jin is the resident of room 103 and a third-year student of Suiko. He is Misaki's childhood friend and has feelings for her, but he feels he is not good enough for her, so he ends up becoming a playboy.)  

Ryunosuke Akasaka  

(Ryūnosuke is the resident of room 102. Ryūnosuke is a second-year student of Suiko. He is a who rarely leaves his room, and usually communicates with others by text message or e-mail. To reduce the need to personally communicate with others, he has written the "Maid" , which responds to messages in his place. He is an expert of computer programming, and gives Sorata lots of useful advice about his computer game) 

Chihiro Sengoku  

(Chihiro is an art teacher at Suiko and the dorm supervisor of Sakurasou. She is Mashiro's cousin and arranged for her transfer to Suiko. She once wanted to become a professional artist and was a conscientious student while attending Suiko herself.)  

Rita Ainsworth  

(Rita was Mashiro's roommate and caretaker when Mashiro lived in England. She became jealous of Mashiro's talent, and so advised Mashiro to draw manga hoping to see her fail, but later she regrets her actions and comes to Japan to bring Mashiro back to England.)

Yuko Kanda  

(Yuko is Sorata's younger sister and is in her third year of junior high school; she later attends Suiko. She borders on having a brother complex and wants to be spoiled by Sorata.)