TWENTY TWO

MESSAGE BETWEEN
HEATON & KEERY

heaton
so you gonna say anything?

keery
no, what do i say?
hey, em really dont want you to go out with your costar but im going out with ivy

heaton
i dont think thats the best way to say it

keery
ya think??

heaton
why dont you just drop ivy
we all see right through you guys

keery
i dont want to hurt her, she is a really sweet girl
just not for me

heaton
yeah em has been for you

keery
idk

heaton
dont give me that bullshit we have all seen it for the past two years of knowing you

keery
oKaY chill

heaton
im just saying you deny it but then you get mad with she is out with another boy

keery
im not mad she is with evan

heaton
"what does she see in him? his hair is greasy and his face is ugly?"

keery
you got me there
its true tho

heaton
i mean honestly he seems like a 10/10 guy
why arent you two dating?

keery
bc man, we have been friends since we were 12 think about if we werent friends anymore
a break up could do that

heaton
yes but think about how happy youd both be to finally be in that relationship
why would you guys break up?
you both never fight unless its about the relationship you guys are in

keery
what about ivy

heaton
idk man
thats on you

keery
i'll think about it

Emily sighed as she let the door to the apartment close behind her. She had told Joe an hour till she came home but an hour turned into four. A few drinks from the bar she was at made her mind a little fuzzy and her body a little loose. She kicked her adidas off then threw her jacket on the floor next to them. Her arms went out, trying to guide herself in the darkness. The only light and noise from the opened window in the living room. She found her way over to it and tried to close it. The cold breeze was hitting her face, making her cheeks flush red and her tiny, drunk body tried to push the window closed. After a moment of not giving up, she felt large hands hit hers. Soon the cold breeze stopped and the noise of the nightlife outside was gone. She didnt turn, her back hit his body as he walked closer to her and their hands stayed together on the window. His breathing was heavy and hot on the back on her neck, making goosebumps go up her neck. She pulled her lip into her teeth, biting down a little. Moving wasnt something that came to her mind. She liked the position they were in.

"An hour my ass." He said quietly, not moving

She rolled her eyes, annoyed at his statement. "Im old enough to be out late, Joe."

His hands tightened around hers. "I was just worried. You werent answering my texts, I thought something happened to you." He said.

Her head fell and a small frown went across her lips. She felt bad at what she had said. "Im sorry, Evan and I met up with Sarah and Lily.."

"Its alright, Em. Would you just call next time please?" He sighed, wrapping his arms around her waist and squeezing tightly.

She turned, wrapping her arms around his neck and hugged him back. She felt like a child in this moment, like he had some kind of control over her. She pulled away and looked up at him. "You are acting like my father again."

His hands were placed tightly on her waist, "Im not acting like your father, just your best friend."

"You are always so worried. You realize Im 22, I can have a boyfriend."

His grip loosened on her hips. "You and Evan are dating?"

"No..No we arent." She shook her head with a sigh. "Im just saying dont treat me like a child."

"Em, I dont treat you like a child." He rolled his eyes, letting his hands fall to his side.

"Yes you do!" She pushed his chest a little.

He looked her in the eyes then wrapped his arms around her, pulling her forward. Their bodies hit, her hands going to his chest. She started up at him, her eyes wide and her hair in her face.

"I just...I love you, Em."

Her body got cold, goosebumps all over her arms and legs. His body was hot against her hands and she felt safe right in his arms. Her eyes were staring into his, getting lost and the words couldnt seem to leave her mouth.
'Was this it?' She thought to herself
'Would this be the moment we finally kiss for real.'

"I just dont want to be treated like a child." She said back

He rolled his eyes and let go of her, causing her to step back.

Her drunkenness was starting to show a little as she hit his chest harder. "You.." She pointed her finger at him. "Shouldnt even be mad because you are with Ivy! I cant have a boyfriend, but Joey can have sex with his precious 19 year old girlfriend."

"Emily.." He starts to rub his face, not wanting to listen to her.

"No, No. Im wrong. As always. Emily Harrison, is wrong."

"Are you finished?" He snapped, looking up at her.

With that, she shut her mouth. Feet apart they stood, just staring at one another. Apart of her wanted the movie cliche to happen, he would run up to her and kiss her passionately. Another part wanted to sleep and eat and forget about her drunkenness, and stay angry at him.

"10 years we have done this, Joe." She said softly.

His eyebrow slowly went up, "Done what?"

"Whatever this is. This...This weird shit. Sleeping over together, being so close, me watching you get girlfriends. Me waiting..." She frowned. She looked up, seeing his face change. His face was long, full of sadness. "Im done waiting." She shrugged.

A moment of silence went by, he was staring at her with his mouth agape but nothing was coming out. She rolled her eyes then grabbed the large pizza box off the table. He went to grab her arm when she walked by but she moved too quickly.

"Emily Harrison is not a waiter!" She yelled in a drunken rage as she walked down the hall.

He was left there by the closed window. His hands on his face and his mind spinning with confusion.