Chapter 5

A/N: Trigger Warning: Panic Attacks

Jack's POV

It had been about five days since the night that Austin had threatened me. I had been avoiding Alex again, but only in person. We talked on the phone frequently, and all I could tell him was that I was having trouble with my 'project.' He had offered to help multiple times, and each time I couldn't even bring myself to say much before hanging up.

"Jack, it's almost been a week. Come on, just let me help you. Or at least take a break. You don't need this much stress on yourself." He said. God, his voice was like honey. I briefly wondered if he could sing, but I put it out of my mind.

"I would love help, but there's really nothing you can do..." I replied, trying to keep myself calm. You could turn ugly. Or just stop making me fall for you. I thought, sighing. "Of course.. A break would be nice... How about tomorrow night? We'll go to the movies, how's that sound?" I asked.

"Sounds great, babe! I gotta get to work, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll pick you up at your house at 8:30."

"Okay. Bye." Alex said, then hung up. I pressed the end call button, heaving a sigh. I looked down at my gun, nodding. Tomorrow. I'd do it tomorrow.

I set my phone down and went to make myself something to eat. I was right in the middle when I got another call. I looked at the caller ID and my heart jolted when I saw it was Austin. I hadn't been in at all to report, mostly because I was now terrified of him, but I knew I couldn't ignore the call.

"Hey Austin." I said.

"Don't sound so casual. Why haven't you been in?" He asked threateningly.

"I, um... Haven't had time?" I said lamely.

"Bullshit! You've done nothing! Your victim still isn't dead, Jack."

"I... Austin I can't do it. I just can't, please! You can't make me do this!" I said frantically. If only he was understanding...

"You can do this, and you will. You have three days, or you will be put on the kill list. And this is no longer a paid job. This is to keep your life. You got that, Barakat?" He asked.

I was shaking as I choked out a reply. "O-okay..."

"Good. Three days, Barakat." He snarled, then hung up. I breathed a shaky sigh. Tomorrow, then. I had to... It was my life, or Alex's.

I growled in frustration and threw my phone to the ground. I stormed into the kitchen to finish my food, trying not to think about what I would be doing tomorrow. I ate quickly, then planned out how I would execute my plan.

I could take him to the movies, then take him back to his. I could kill him there, and it would be all over. I took a deep breath and packed up my stuff for tomorrow before going to bed.

Alex's POV

I was worried about Jack. I could barely focus at work, and most of my regular customers noticed how unusally quiet I was. I spent my entire work day worrying, thinking about ways I could help. Maybe I'd get him something for our date tomorrow. Yeah, that's it!

The rush started to slow down, and I knew Jenna would be coming in soon. She came in with a solemn look. "They set the date for Tay's funeral. It's this Saturday." She said. I nodded, coming around the counter to hug her.

"I'm so sorry, Jenna. I know how much you loved her, and I'm sorry for being so absent."

"It's fine. You haven't run off, and you and Jack seem pretty happy, so I'm just glad you're happy, and I'm glad you're here for me."