IV

Mio sat alone at her room.

Alone, like always.

She sighed. "I thought Itachi's supposed to be smart. Why would he become an ANBU so young? Idiot."

"Nee-Chan!" A voice called, followed by pounding on the door.

"Come in," she called to Sakura.

"Huh?" Mio-san, what's wrong?" Sakura's best friend, Ino, asked.

"Nothing, I just had a fight with my friend."

"She's been like that for two weeks already. She had a fight with her boyfriend, so she is depressed." Sakura whispered her opinion to Ino.

"He's not my boyfriend," Mio said flatly, slightly annoyed.

"Who is that?" Ino wondered.

"Itachi Uchiha." Sakura blurted out before Mio could stop her.

"Sakura, you have ten seconds to save yourself," Mio warned. Sakura gulped, and started running away.

Mio counted down to zero, then ran after her sister. Too occupied with her pink hair, Mio crashed into someone.

"Ow, sorry." She said. She quickly stood up, offering a hand to the blonde boy she accidentally knocked down. Once he was up, she got ready to the chase again. "SAKURA!"

-

They ran through the village for half an hour straight, when Mio crashed into another chest. Hard.

The man caught her as she bounced off, making sure she wouldn't fall.

"Oh, God, sorry!"

"Mio?"

"Itachi?"

Mio blushed as she realized how close they were.

Oh, God.

Itachi let her go.

"You know her?" a silver haired asked Itachi.

"Yes, she is my best friend."

"And here I though it was me," He sighed sarcastically. "Well, see ya."

"Bye Kakashi-"

"Mio, Itachi." a voice greeted.

"Hi Mom," Itachi greeted.

"You two on a date?"

"NO!" Mio growled. "Ugh, I'm leaving."

"What have you done to her?" she asked once Mio was gone.

"Never mind it," Itachi said with a sigh. "It's better for her."

Itachi's mother glanced between the pink hair of Mio and Itachi's eyes, before an anger mark appeared on her forehead, and she knocked her oldest son to the floor.

"What was that for?" he asked, frowning.

"For being an idiot!" she stared at him for a moment more, before a smirk found its way to her face, "though, you probably can't help."

"Good to know my mom is supportive and loving," he commented.

-

The next day, after his mother convinced him, Itachi sat on the porch next to Mio's house, waiting for her to come back.

She came back when the night already fell, and she seemed tired. Maybe it was a bad idea, Itachi thought, but then her head snapped up and their eyes locked.

"Hi," he breathed out before he could even think.

"Uh, hey," Mio replied, feeling awkward.

"You're mad at me," he said, forgetting everything his mother told him to say, "and I get it. Completely. But, please don't be."

"Why?" she asked, feeling her heart beating strangely.

"Because I- you're the closest friend I have." He settled for this, looking at her eyes for a while. After a moment she smiled, "is that forgiveness I see?"

Mio shrugged. "You're Itachi, I can't do a lot about it."

Itachi did not know why he breathed out in pure relief as she said it, but merely hugged her.

"Happy birthday."